shower and switch location

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Must be outside of the edge of the shower. How small can your ruler measure? That could be 1/64" or less and still be code compliant.

jbelectric777

Its a shame but true, all the good book says is it shall not be located in the shower or tub area, now if the tub portion has a motor thats diffrent, treat switches and outlets like a pool or hot tub (5'). This has been an issue for years and for some reason that code panel commitee wont budge, even if its a bathtub. One time I tried to push my luck and the guy said he'd run right over my head to the construction commitee for a hearing, the prosecutor asked me if I could prove the switch had to be 5' away from a shower and I said the truth is a flat "no" so, I was told to back down because it was wasting the time and resources of the township courts. I hope one day that a tub and shower are treated the same as hot tubs and pools (or anything with a motor or recirculating equipment) and what gets me is these new corner tubs look like hot tubs but arent equipped with recirculating equipment BUT they can be fit out for recirc equip in the future. Ya get to a point where ya just dont care anymore, keep accurate records and if something happens, well hey ya say "this is what was there at the time" because ya know if they put recirc pump in they arent gonna get a permit or inspection.

g3guy

Its a shame but true, all the good book says is it shall not be located in the shower or tub area, now if the tub portion has a motor thats diffrent, treat switches and outlets like a pool or hot tub (5'). This has been an issue for years and for some reason that code panel commitee wont budge, even if its a bathtub. One time I tried to push my luck and the guy said he'd run right over my head to the construction commitee for a hearing, the prosecutor asked me if I could prove the switch had to be 5' away from a shower and I said the truth is a flat "no" so, I was told to back down because it was wasting the time and resources of the township courts. I hope one day that a tub and shower are treated the same as hot tubs and pools (or anything with a motor or recirculating equipment) and what gets me is these new corner tubs look like hot tubs but arent equipped with recirculating equipment BUT they can be fit out for recirc equip in the future. Ya get to a point where ya just dont care anymore, keep accurate records and if something happens, well hey ya say "this is what was there at the time" because ya know if they put recirc pump in they arent gonna get a permit or inspection.

I don't normally post on this forum despite being one of the pioneer members.
It's just that I have forgotten more than the aggregate of members of this site will
ever know. I sometimes really, really wonder how any trade can spend their working
lives in homes and are completely oblivious to that which is outside their field of
endeavor. I would hazard a guess there are hundreds of thousands of nominally
5'x8' bathrooms in this country. Pray tell, how would you wire such areas according
to your 5' rule? I have an old but inquiring mind and I await your most educational
and illuminating answer. I will refrain from going to the 'what if' concerning the
pump.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Its a shame but true, all the good book says is it shall not be located in the shower or tub area, now if the tub portion has a motor thats diffrent, treat switches and outlets like a pool or hot tub (5'). This has been an issue for years and for some reason that code panel commitee wont budge, even if its a bathtub. One time I tried to push my luck and the guy said he'd run right over my head to the construction commitee for a hearing, the prosecutor asked me if I could prove the switch had to be 5' away from a shower and I said the truth is a flat "no" so, I was told to back down because it was wasting the time and resources of the township courts. I hope one day that a tub and shower are treated the same as hot tubs and pools

The CMP won't budge because no one has of yet come up with sufficient substantiation for the code change that you've proposed. In small bathrooms 5' would be impossible.

kwired

Electron manager

2008 NEC:680.72
Other Electrical Equipment.
Luminaires, switches, receptacles, and other electrical equipment located in the same room, and not directly associated with a hydromassage bathtub, shall be installed in accordance with the requirements of Chapters 1 through 4 in this Code covering the installation of that equipment in bathrooms.

It says right there that this is treated just like a regular bathtub as far as non associated electrical equipment in the same room as the hydromassage tub There is no 5 foot rule for bathtubs in chapter 1-4.

680.71 says that 125 volt 30 amp or less receptacles within 6 feet shall have GFCI protection. That will happen anyway with 15 and 20 amp receptacles if in a bathroom.

The CMP won't budge because no one has of yet come up with sufficient substantiation for the code change that you've proposed. In small bathrooms 5' would be impossible.

There is probably little or no incidents involving injury or death to cause any changes either.

hotwire1955

It's just that I have forgotten more than the aggregate of members of this site will
ever know. I sometimes really, really wonder how any trade can spend their working
lives in homes and are completely oblivious to that which is outside their field of
5'x8' bathrooms in this country. Pray tell, how would you wire such areas according
to your 5' rule? I have an old but inquiring mind and I await your most educational
and illuminating answer. I will refrain from going to the 'what if' concerning the
pump.

WOW you must be one smart person!!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
...if the tub portion has a motor thats diffrent, treat switches and outlets like a pool or hot tub (5').
I agree with the previous posters who disagree with this statement. There is no restriction on switches and receptacles in proximity to hydromassage bathtubs.

It's just that I have forgotten more than the aggregate of members of this site will ever know.

And you were almost forgotten completely, nice of you to return to remind us. :)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
pump.

WOW you must be one smart person!!

Not anymore, apparently.

pump.

I hope if I ever learn as much as you have forgotten, That 1. I will post more than 35 times in 8 years
2. will not pat myself on the back for being a "pioneer" member
3. belittle the people who converse on here
4 write a paragraph full of useless garbage to really just say "what about really small bathrooms"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I hope if I ever learn as much as you have forgotten, That 1. I will post more than 35 times in 8 years
2. will not pat myself on the back for being a "pioneer" member
3. belittle the people who converse on here
4 write a paragraph full of useless garbage to really just say "what about really small bathrooms"

;););)

haskindm

What possible danger could there be from mounting a switch close to the shower?
We are required to connect switches to an equipment grounding conductor - there is no electrocution danger from a properly grounded switch... Sometimes we electricians forget basic electrical theory.

Last edited:

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Although you make a point we all know that devices are not installed properly, equipment grounds can fail etc..... and even though it may not be our jobs to keep everything compliant in the future the fact is things change. I think the distance is just one more added layer of safety even though in theory its not needed. The same case could be made for GFI protected receps closer than 5 feet to a pool.

T

taylorp

I understand where jbelectric is coming from. I keep switches and receptacles as far away from tubs and showers as physically possible. This is just safety sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.