do i need to ground my gutter box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a service for a 4 unit apartment bldg. the riser is 400 amps that comes down from weatherhead into 8x8x60 gutter box. out of the gutter box, there are 5 meter sockets that feed (5) 125 amp load centers. i have installed gec on the panels to the ground rod. do i need to to install a #2 thhn from the gutter to ground rod. the 4" riser is mounted in a myers hub and the meters are connected via offset nipples. by the way, the service is 240 volt, single phase. thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The gutter does need to be bonded by some means. Had you used grounding locknuts or bushings on your offset nipple that would have suffice. You did not state your service entrance conductor size, but a bond jumper sized per 250.66 to to the grounded conductor would work.
The bond to the ground rod would work if the conductors are sized per 250.66

i used 400 mcm, therefore i used a #2. i know how to get the size off the chart in 250.66. where does it state in the code that the gutter has to be grounded. i have used steel locknuts and steel offset nipples to steel meter sockets. i did run a ground from the gutter to the ground rod. i just couldn't find where the code requires it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
i used 400 mcm, therefore i used a #2. i know how to get the size off the chart in 250.66. where does it state in the code that the gutter has to be grounded. i have used steel locknuts and steel offset nipples to steel meter sockets. i did run a ground from the gutter to the ground rod. i just couldn't find where the code requires it.

Look at 250.4(A)(1)-(5) and 250.92(A)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.