Sidewalk ground box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Does a box in the middle of a sidewalk even need to have a rating? It's no different than a box in the middle of a lawn? Of course, I'd rather have a concrete box in the middle of a concrete sidewalk, than something made out of plastic/fiberglass. That might look a little goofy.

I'm assuming you don't have any specs for this?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Does a box in the middle of a sidewalk even need to have a rating? It's no different than a box in the middle of a lawn? Of course, I'd rather have a concrete box in the middle of a concrete sidewalk, than something made out of plastic/fiberglass. That might look a little goofy.

I'm assuming you don't have any specs for this?

I deal with the park district a lot and our public works dept too, I would avoid a fiberglass box, but there are some companies that make heavy duty plastic one.

I would have to look and see if I have any info for them. If you would like to PM me I can look for you.

tkb

OZ Gedney makes some cast steel boxes that would work.
What size are you looking for?

laketime

12"x18" or something. I am going to talk to the city and see what they say. The concrete one the wholesale house got for me was $300 total:mad:

Cavie

Fiberglass boxes are very common and spec with most cities and DOT here in Florida. Placed in sidewalks all the time. Most agencys have abandoned concrete boxes.

tkb

12"x18" or something. I am going to talk to the city and see what they say. The concrete one the wholesale house got for me was $300 total:mad:

Check out page 24.
http://www.o-zgedney.com/PDF/OZG_UA_CastJunctionBoxes[1].pdf

It don't think it will be less than $300, but it will be bullet proof.

You will have to copy and paste the whole link to make it work.
This forum software wont let links be pasted with brackets in it.

Last edited:

renosteinke

It's not the box so much as the cover.

First of all, though, let's discuss the box. You need to use the right sort of box - and the smallest 'right' box is about the size of a 5-gallon bucket. You do NOT want to use ant manner of 'conventional' box - be it "Bell,", "FS," or whatever. Conventional boxes will not keep mud and water out, but will keep the water from draining away. Conventional boxes will quickly rust away.

The next question is: What sort of 'traffic' rating do you need? The lightest, smallest covers are of a gray fiberglass/ plastic, and will tolerate the occasional footfall. (The gray plastic also blends well with concrete walks). The next level -standard with the cement boxes- is a concrete cover. Finally, if you're worried about heavier traffic, you use the cement box with a steel cover.

What you wish to avoid are the little green boxes that are used to conceal sprinkler controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.