Overloading a WattStopper CI-355

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The following are pictures of a recently installed OS at double the rating for ballasts. I burned up 4 of these at $125 a pop. Seems to me there should be some kind of internal protection from fire if idiots like me can't follow simple instructions. Beware.

DSCN2043.jpg

DSCN2042.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Seems to me there should be some kind of internal protection from fire if idiots like me can't follow simple instructions. Beware.
Any objection to sharing what you did so that fewer of us may benefit from your experience and not join idiotdom?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Any objection to sharing what you did so that fewer of us may benefit from your experience and not join idiotdom?

You mean like not putting twice as much current through the OS as the instructions say??

;)

I've only used the LV occ. sensors with the remote powerpack. Didn't know they made line voltage ones...

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician

No objection and FWIW "Idiotdom" is free to join at any time.

You mean like not putting twice as much current through the OS as the instructions say??

Hate to say it but the gentleman installing these brought this to my attention when he started. I really had no clue what he was trying to tell me and I kept saying, "as per plan, as per plan". He had no clue what I was saying either.

I've only used the LV occ. sensors with the remote powerpack. Didn't know they made line voltage ones...
Both the installer and I are very familiar with these as they are wired in parallel. Cant do that with line voltage sensors. Just a complete breakdown in communication.

walkerj

Thanks, Chris, for the heads up.

I'm about to be installing a bunch of these so I will keep this in mind.

Where did that trim plate come from?
I have never seen one.

Edit:
I usually install an octagon box, but it is very tight.
I like your method better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.