Service Conductors in Crawl Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

barclayd

Can Service Conductors be installed in the crawl space under a building? Is the crawl space considered 'inside' the building as mentioned in 230.70(A)(1)?
thanks
db

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is something to look at.

230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building.
Conductors shall be considered outside of a building or other structure under any of the following conditions:
(1) Where installed under not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete beneath a building or other structure
(2) Where installed within a building or other structure in a raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less than 50 mm (2 in.) thick
(3) Where installed in any vault that meets the construction requirements of Article 450, Part III
(4) Where installed in conduit and under not less than 450 mm (18 in.) of earth beneath a building or other structure

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This particular "Crawl Space" is what I would actually call a "Basement".
Design/Build job, and the designers and builders screwed up.
Trying to get them to do it right this time.
thanks
db

Crawl space or basement, it would still be non compliant. Before I moved to NC they would allow service conductors in metal conduit to run under a house unfused but I don't know if that was code compliant or an amendment.

jumper

Crawl space or basement, it would still be non compliant. Before I moved to NC they would allow service conductors in metal conduit to run under a house unfused but I don't know if that was code compliant or an amendment.

I am going to say amendment or AHJ call.

1956 code says "The disconnecting means shall be located at the readily accessible point which is nearest to the point of entrance of the service conductors, either inside or outside".

Status
Not open for further replies.