Siemens Breakers in a Murray Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was told today that Murray is no longer being made, but when I looked at the "Type" breaker from Siemens that supposedly can be installed into a Murray panel, it is not the same. I tried looking at the Siemens web site for listing info, but that is a nightmare. Does any one have a link where I can find a listed breaker for a Murray panel? Thank you.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
call siemens and ask them for the part#.

the listed replacement will be a siemens breaker. its not uncommon to find a new siemens breaker w/ a murray label on the side.

what are you looking for?

norcal

Siemens owns Murray now, & no longer makes the old style Murray/ Crouse-Hinds breakers, they look like the former ITE breaker line & and branded them as Murray, it would be interesting if there was paperwork stating that Siemens (Formerly ITE) & Murray could be interchanged with each other, as they physically look the same other then the name.

highvolts582

Siemans breaker

Siemans breaker

Type MP murray breakers and type QP Siemans breakers fit eachother and there casings are the same. I got tired of wondering so I feel free to slap em in and interchange them. Home depot sells murray panels sometimes, but there are no breakers except the Siemans for sale so in they go. You may want to try a classified breaker and see if there listed.

I know the QP and MP breakers, along with several other brands look identical and will fit each others panels, I am trying to find out where it might list a QP breaker for use in a Murray panel? I doubt Siemens would not make a listed breaker for the millions of Murray panels out there.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't understand the issue here. Why do you think Murray Breakers are not available now? The QP breakers are NOT listed for newer Murray panels even though they are identical other than the part number. Every Home Depot and Lowes I have been in stocks Murray. Several wholesale houses in my area stock Murray as their line of residential distribution equipment. Murray breakers are more widely available than Siemens in my area.

220/221

I know the QP and MP breakers, along with several other brands look identical and will fit each others panels, I am trying to find out where it might list a QP breaker for use in a Murray panel? I doubt Siemens would not make a listed breaker for the millions of Murray panels out there.

I tried to get crossover paperwork from Siemans and Murray years ago because of one inspector.

I couldn't get it.

I finally used most all of my old Murray stock in Siemans panels and no one ever mentioned it.

Spmeone once posted a photo of a Murray breaker in a Siemans package :)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Murray is Siemens. They just market the equipment under 2 different brand names and different part numbers even though they are identical. Westinghouse did the same thing years ago with Challenger. The load centers and breakers were identical but had different pat numbers. When CH purchase the lines from Westinghouse they merged the 2 lines together and print both part numbers on the breakers.

Curt, in my area, other than some left over stock, none of the big box stores have Murray any longer. I am being told they no longer are being produced, and as I stated the siemens "type" is not the same as the murray "type" even though they are physically identical. I guess I need to speak to a Siemens dealer and find out if they know.

tls

That's odd.

This weekend I noticed that one of the panels in my own home had developed a very quiet 60Hz hum. Of course it was the one mismatched breaker (CH BR in a Siemens panel) I'd noticed years ago when I moved in and occasionally reminded myself I should swap out. But I didn't have a 2-pole Siemens breaker handy. Saturday afternoon, supply houses closed -- off to the big box stores.

Locally, neither the orange store nor the blue store carries any Siemens breakers, much less 2-pole. Tons of Murray breakers on the shelf. This is the exact opposite situation to what I see in other parts of the region when I travel for work. For example in upstate NY you simply cannot find a Murray breaker in the blue store but they have a nice selection of Siemens.

I don't think they have stopped producing Murray. We called their phone support about a month ago to ask whether we could use a Siemens 2-pole AFCI in a Murray panel because our EC on a job said yes, but the inspector was looking at it funny. They said no and helpfully provided the correct Murray part number which we did finally manage to get locally (everyone had claimed they didn't have it). If they've really decided to kill off the Murray name it is very recent!

I think it is just a rumor. You could call them and ask.

The other rumor I would love to clear up is the one about CH stopping all 2-pole AFCI production instead of bringing a 2-pole combination type to market. The last official thing I see on this is a marketing paper from 2009 that says their 2-pole combo AFCI is expected to be on sale late that year. Haven't had a situation arise where I had to know, so I have not tried to call them and be persistent and get an answer from the source -- which is not always possible anyway.

Not true! I finaly had a chance to get to a "supply house", and Murray is still being produced. Don't know why, but all the big boxes in my area DO NOT carry them any longer and are stocking only Siemens, Sq D, and some Eaton CH.

tls

Too funny. Or too frustrating -- too something, that's for sure.

You can't get a Murray breaker at a big-box store when you need one, I can't get a Siemens breaker at the exact same brand of big box store when I do. And the two breakers are *identical* except for the label.

It almost seems like this would run afoul of antitrust laws.

Any way you look at it, it sure gives me a warm fuzzy feeling about Eaton, still printing 30? 40? year old Westinghouse part numbers on their breakers next to the current ones, just to take care of their customers with old panels...

dcooper

Stay out of HD and Lowes! Goto a supply house! The only reason I goto HD or Lowes is to use the bathroom.

norcal

Locally HD has Murray & Lowes has Siemens, W/ HD pushing the SQ D Homeline & then Murray as the secondary line.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can tell that I have seen countless numbers of mixed brand installations. Ge, seimens, bryant, etc all used to fit each others panels. Now the companies all seem to make breakers that are suitable for other brands.

I have seen an ITE breaker that is made for the QO panels of Sq. D. Everyone is cashing in on this. The odd thing is that the panels are UL listed for their brand and yet UL allows other brands to be listed for different panels.

220/221

Found it.

MurraySeimansAFCI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.