Under Cabinet Light Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm putting in NSL Xenon UCL's in my own kitchen. The wife will be wanting to highlight new granite countertops and the wall space will be tiled. Both the tile and the granite are light in color. I think she will crank up the dimmer for preparing meals and dim them later on to light the room enough to walk around with no other lights on.

Normally I put UCL's in the rear of the under cabinet against the wall. I hear some mount them towards the front of the cabinet. Any opinions on what works best?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I prefer it at the front edge of the cabinet to get it as close to the center of the countertop as possible.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Advantages of putting them against the back wall:
(1) Less likely to interfere with any tall appliances used on the countertop, and
(2) Less likely that the bare light bulb will be seen (i.e., you want to see the reflected light off the counter, not the light itself).

mkgrady

Advantages of putting them against the back wall:
(2) Less likely that the bare light bulb will be seen (i.e., you want to see the reflected light off the counter, not the light itself).

I can't picture how the front or back of the cabinet would effect whether or not you see the bulb. If you are standing in the room you will not see the bulbs. If you are sitting at the island (bar top height) you will not see the bulbs. If you are sitting at a table you will see the bulbs if they are in the back or the front. The angle is virtually the same. Not sure what you mean.

B W E

I have never mounted a light up front, for no particular reason other than I like to go straight into the back with romex. I do know that with most granite counter-tops, I almost always see a very clear reflection of the light fixture in the granite, to the point that you can make out the shape of the fixture as well as each individual lamp. Never had a complaint about it, just noticed it.

laketime

So funny.....I come from a commercial background and we always mounted them at the front of the cabinet..

John120/240

I have seen them mounted in either location. Hook up a sample fixture with S.O.

cord & see what works best for you. How much of a skirt you have on the bottom

edge of cabinets might affect wether you see the fixture.

mkgrady

I do know that with most granite counter-tops, I almost always see a very clear reflection of the light fixture in the granite, to the point that you can make out the shape of the fixture as well as each individual lamp. Never had a complaint about it, just noticed it.

I have noticed the same thing. It kind of bugs me. I never mention it to the customer as I don't think anything can be done about it.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Should've done a poll.

I always, unless otherwise requested, put them toward the back.

muskrat

Front- better light for tasks, as long as fixture is completely hidden. Used to work w/ cabinet maker that made the bottom recessed portion of the cabinet boxes the same size as a particular fluorescent fixture then boxed it in w/ (barely) enough room to instal/ relamp.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The answer, as somewhat pointed out above, is the design of the upper cabinet and how deep the fixture would be.

Some cabinet do not have a stile on the front edge while others may have a very shallow one. The standard 1" stile will hide most fixtures today but there are a few that are 1 1/4"-1 1/2". The latter I would move to the back.

I also like not having the wire visible so another point for the back and for those that are really purest there are adjustable under cabinet lights. I believe Lowes sells them--- I have used them and they are not bad.

mkgrady

After reading responses, I'm thinking that the front of the under cabinet is a better location for the light but there may be reasons to install them at the back. To hide the fixture, to keep the cable hidden, maybe to cover a hole in the sheet rock.

JWCELECTRIC

I always install the lights towards the front unless there is no lip on cabinet. I think mounting up front provides a pyramid of light that hits the front edge of counter along with the back. I prefer to use Juno fixtures, I can install each in about 5 minutes. I have never had problems with them. I also think you will see more of the fixture if it is mounted in the back. I have used those 1" plastic tywrap holders to secure the Romex to the underside of cabinet if it becomes an issue.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can't picture how the front or back of the cabinet would affect whether or not you see the bulb.
Depends on the fixture. I have seen a cheap T5 fluorescent fixtures that have the bulb hanging down and no cover over the bulb (something akin to a shop light). If that is mounted at the front, you will see the bulb hanging down below the bottom surface of the upper cabinet. If it is mounted at the back, you will not see it.

Steviechia2

1) I don't like the wire exposed for front location
2) You are going to see the reflection whether front or back
3) I like the back mount, to light up more of the tile backsplash
4) There really isn't that much of a difference either way!

Rick Christopherson

Even though you know me as an E.E., I also used to be a professional cabinetmaker for high-end customers. It wasn't just a side-job, it was my sole business.

Anyway, the majority of the time, I would install fixtures toward the front of the cabinet, but vary this as necessary depending on the light cast of the particular fixture. This Website appears to be for the lights you are choosing, and it even has a diagram for the light cast.

XTLPhoto.gif

So for this particular fixture, you would want to mount it closer to the rear if you want a portion of the light cast to be on the back wall. (The 7" spacing is for NOT having light cast on the back wall.)

What I would do is power up one fixture and hold it in place under the cabinet and let your wife decide where she wants it located.

Attachments

• XTLPhoto.jpg
    XTLPhoto.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.