Soldering Branch Connections in a Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oso

We are being told to solder & tape with Scotch 33 all branch connections including Receptacles in Patient care areas. Is this legal? I thought this went out with Knob & Tube?

renosteinke

There is nothing wrong with soldering, as a means of improving a connection.

What matters is that the connection be electrically and mechanically secure - and we are not allowed to rely upon solder ALONE for the mechanical connection.

So, in the application you describe, the wires would have to at least be tightly twisted together before soldering them together.

Scotch 33? Well, given the choice, I'd prefer shrink-tube.

Also: Unlike in the 'old days,' you are still required to have the required pigtails / conductor lengths.

btharmy

Does this medical facility also still practice blood letting and lobotomies as well? Those things went out over 40 yrs ago, along with soldering and taping joints. There are current applications for all three but very few by comparison.

wankster

there is definitely something to be said about soldered connections. I've worked on a few ancient houses that utilized this tecnique and i never saw a squirrely neutral work it's way loose! ;)

btharmy

Anybody have the labor rate for soldered joints off the top of their head? Just curious what that would do to the cost of a big job if you missed that little detail in the specs while pricing?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How would one solder connections to a receptacle? :confused:

I can see how one could physically do it, but not legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.