200A CB feeding two separate 200A panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropeadope

200A CB feeding two separate 200A panels
Installed a 12x12 junction Box, with polaris taps. Feeding two separate 200A Main Lug Only PNLs. All conductors and equiptment rated for 200A . Inspector said No, and wanted me to land in first pnl, then use another CB to feed second pnl. Doesn't make sense to me ? Where in the NEC does it state this requirement ?

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Dennis, what you are suggesting is not an NEC violation.

You might want to make sure that the calculated loads of the 2 panels does not exceed 200 amps though.

Chris

Ropeadope

I figured the inspector was wrong, I changed it at the time, because I didn't want to start a war with her.

The thinking was to just gain CB space. Loads were minimal, with lots of lights, plugs, etc. in a large house, with two people occupancy.

Thanks guys.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I agree with Dennis and raider. These are not feeder taps as all conductors have an ampacity greater than or equal to the overcurrent protective device protecting them. The inspector's requirement of having a subfeed breaker would preclude the use of feed-through or subfeed lugs to feed one panel from another, which is commonplace in the electrical industry.

Ropeadope

I agree with Dennis and raider. These are not feeder taps as all conductors have an ampacity greater than or equal to the overcurrent protective device protecting them. The inspector's requirement of having a subfeed breaker would preclude the use of feed-through or subfeed lugs to feed one panel from another, which is commonplace in the electrical industry.

Thanks for the input guys.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
All you really have is a big splice. No different than splicing three #12's together on a 20 amp circuit.

Ropeadope

Just read the OP again. Sounds like your 12"X12" is a little small.

You know I just found these online forums just recently. Stuff like that bothers me, I wanted to know if her claim was correct.

This was last year, and I don't recall the size J-box. Maybe it was larger 14x14x6 nema 1R ? Thx again. great site.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You know I just found these online forums just recently. Stuff like that bothers me, I wanted to know if her claim was correct.
Thx again. great site.

I found this place when I had a disagreement with an inspector and was searching for some answers. Like electricians, inspectors do make mistakes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.