Sprinklers in electrical rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have dedicated electrical rooms protected by 1-hour fire-rated and 2-hour walls. Since the entire room is not protected by 2-hour walls, sprinklers are required per NFPA-13-72. The AHJ has indicated these sprinkler heads need a shield even though they are not directly mounted over any gear.

Thanks for any and all replies.

pete m.

110.26(F)(1)(c) specifically permits sprinkler protection. I'm not sure (barring any local ammendments) where this requirement is found.:confused:

Pete

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sprinklers.jpg

We went thru a long struggle with this with engineers, engineers, consulants all arguing. The end call locallly was that the sprinkler piping required drip pans. if over the gear. The head, if located other than directly above the gear was no problem.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would doubt that NFPA 13 would ever permit a shield for the sprinkler heads. Shielding them would defeat the purpose of installing them. If the room is hot enough to set off the heads the electrical equipment probably already junk and the water from the heads should contain the fire and heat to that room and save the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.