AFCI Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The cmp members at the Raleigh meeting said they were made but not on the market yet. I find that hard to believe that they would make them and not introduce them.

The manufacturer say there just is no market for them, but I bet if they were there people would use them when they extend a non AFCI circuit.

I believe UL has a catagory for them to be listed, NEC allows for their use with minor restrictions (210.12 exc. 1), I am sure there is market for them but I have not seen them. I would be interested in seeing any information anyone might have on them.

raider1

Staff member
The cmp members at the Raleigh meeting said they were made but not on the market yet. I find that hard to believe that they would make them and not introduce them.

The manufacturer say there just is no market for them, but I bet if they were there people would use them when they extend a non AFCI circuit.

According to Chuck Mello (UL rep on Panel 5) there are a couple of manufactures that either had a listing or were in the process of getting a listing for AFCI receptacles, but none of the manufactures had one commercially available yet. (This was as of September 2010 IAEI Northwest section meeting)

Pass and Seymour have a prototype that has been used for pictures for the IAEI analysis of changes book and presentation.

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I was at an Illinois IAEI meeting in Feb and the UL rep said that no one had completed the listing process yet, but that one was very close.

Status
Not open for further replies.