800.110 - Communication Wires in Wet Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
800.110 Makes reference to the installation of Raceways to be in accordance with Ch. 3, but makes no mention to the conductors inside.
The issue is that we have some Cat6 plenum cables that need to run a couple of feet into a floor box (consider "wet location") and the local inspector is telling us that we need to use weatherproof cable in the conduit.
From my understanding the article on references the "raceway" and not the cables and within.

Does anyone have any input or experience with this?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Ask the inspector to cite the code section that requires the cable to be a wet location rated cable. I agree that 800.110 is dealing with raceways and not cables.

Chris

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Keep in mind and remind the AHJ that the rules in Art 800 are independent of chapters 1-7 unless a reference is made to them. This is an unusual requirement in 800.110 that I was not aware of.

RAYMFL

Article 800.110 does reference Chapter 3, and 300.5(B) states that conductors and cables installed in in underground conduit (wet location) are to be listed for a wet location.

Ray

eprice

Article 800.110 does reference Chapter 3, and 300.5(B) states that conductors and cables installed in in underground conduit (wet location) are to be listed for a wet location.

Ray
800.110 doesn't make a general reference to Chapter 3. It merely references chapter 3 to establish requirements regarding raceways and their installation. Nothing in 800.110 covers conductors or cables and does not trigger application of requirements in Chapter 3 that do not apply to the installation of the raceways.

I questioned the Chief Electrical inspector during the rough, and he stated..."its a wet location, so it is required"... i followed up telling him that "Art. 800 installations are exempt from the requirement unless specifically mentioned," and he said no and refuse to cite a specific art. just saying, "its a wet-location."
Its not a big deal but I don?t agree with him.

nhfire77

I questioned the Chief Electrical inspector during the rough, and he stated..."its a wet location, so it is required"... i followed up telling him that "Art. 800 installations are exempt from the requirement unless specifically mentioned," and he said no and refuse to cite a specific art. just saying, "its a wet-location."
Its not a big deal but I don?t agree with him.

I'd Fight that (but I am jerk when I get bullied). He is being ignorant of the code he enforces.

Sounds like a tyrant. Power to the people!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
While I agree that Art 800 is silent on the cables in a wet location conduit, if this data cabling is part of a manfacturer certified system they almost all take great exception to cables in conduits in a slab on grade. And they are right-all conduits in a slab on grade will fill with water/condensation- and standard cat5/6 will fail eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.