Another Spot the Violations thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

We haven't had an STV thread in a while, so I took these pix during a panel swap today.

Bon app?tite!

D7K_2706.jpg

D7K_2709.jpg

D7K_2710.jpg

D7K_2712.jpg

D7K_2713.jpg

D7K_2714.jpg

D7K_2716.jpg

D7K_2722.jpg

stevebea

Looks to me like the feed to the MLO subpanel is unfused. 3 wire feed to subpanel with no ground. It looks like all or some of the nm enters through a knockout without a connector.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
At least 1 NM cable not secured within 12" of box. Looks like some of the circuits have been doubled up.
I'll leave the rest of what I see for others!:)

hurk27

URD tri-plex ran inside a structure, which also has no EGC ran with it, (might be an allowed 3-wire feed to an out building), and not installed in a raceway.

Many doubled up breaker and neutral terminals.

As far as the subpanel goes, it is tapped from the feed thru lugs, and I don't see anything else wrong with it? #6 should be fine for a feed thru tap, as long as the calculated load on the sub doesn't exceed it.

norcal

I'll bite on a few, multiple conductors under the lugs on some of the PushMatic breakers, & the neutral to the subpanel is taped white, not having white colored insulation that is required for 6 AWG & smaller. 200.6(A). Also EGC's & neutrals under same screw/lug, & doubled neutrals under same screw/lug.

Edit: Why no after pics???

kwired

Electron manager
URD tri-plex ran inside a structure, which also has no EGC ran with it, (might be an allowed 3-wire feed to an out building), and not installed in a raceway.

Many doubled up breaker and neutral terminals.

As far as the subpanel goes, it is tapped from the feed thru lugs, and I don't see anything else wrong with it? #6 should be fine for a feed thru tap, as long as the calculated load on the sub doesn't exceed it.

URD can be run inside depending on what the conductors rating is. Some are USE only some are dual rated USE - RHW/RHHW. USE only usually cost a little less so watch what you purchase.

According to tap rules in 240.21(B) the tap conductor needs an overcurrent device at the load end of the conductors.

(B)(1) may allow the use of a 6 AWG in this case but the device it terrminates in would have to be rated same ampacity or less than the conductor, this panel is likely rated for 125 amps, or the conductor should have overcurrent protection not exceeding ampacity of the conductor - essentially making it a feeder instead of a tap.

With only one breaker in the panel you may be able to argue that it is compliant as is, but add another breaker and it is no longer compliant.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Let's see what your new panel looks like.....

:cool:

I haven't done a service change in a while, sometimes it's kinda fun to take a piece of crap like that and really put the polish on it!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Bull dog Push-matics, I still got these in my house :)

and i still have ZINSCO. There is a quote "The shoemakers' children often have holes in their shoes"

isn't it funny we will convince others to upgrade because of safety but we won't do it for ourselves.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Everybody knows what the outside of a panel looks like, where's the pics with the cover off and a good shot of the interior?

Status
Not open for further replies.