Your Input on Changes to The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
  1. Make the background white, white works.
  2. Remove the automatic italics in quotes.
  3. A better selection of emoticons would be nice.
  4. At the top of any forum page the 'quick link' list should be available
  5. The choices available at the top of each forum page should be the same as any other forum page.

I think these sum up the best suggestions.

What happened to the quick links to threads of common topics that used to be in the FAQ'S?

hurk27

If you look at the heading line at the top of each column, the line that has:

Thread/Thread Starter, Last Post, Replies, views, Forum

you can click on these head lines and it will organize each according to the info in that column, I used to use the replies to put the post in order to bring up post with 0 replies, it make it much easier to keep track of post, almost all windows based programs has this feature, even outlook Express E-mail, as does most forums like this one that Bob posted a screen shot of. If you go to that forum and click on the header right where it says "replies" it will list the replies in order of the most to the least, click again it will reverse the order from the least to the most.

This would be nice to have on every page that is a list of post or forums.

ce18d15e.jpg

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think these sum up the best suggestions.

What happened to the quick links to threads of common topics that used to be in the FAQ'S?

I pulled the FAQs down, I didn't have time to update them and I hadn't had time to check to see if it was still current with the '11. If it's worth the time, I'll try to get an '11 FAQ up and running.

With the forum changes, some of the links died and I was getting gripes. :)

tkb

1. When viewing on a laptop with a max of 1024 x 768 the column with the date and time gets cut off.
    The column resizes but the text does not.
    MikeHolt1.jpg

2. Add Tapatalk access for us with smartphones.
    It is free for forum owners.
  3. Remove the "Started by" under every thread.
    It is obvious that this is the started by OP.
    This just clutters up the screen.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
Hi.

I would like to be able to change my user Name with out loosing my member start date and my post count. I do not have many posts but would like to keep them. If I currently can change my user name and not loose anything please let me know. My current name is made up of 2 people Me ( Bill ) , ( Lisa ) and the year she was born. As you might guess, things are not going well.

Thanks, Bill Annett

forman400b

Occupation
Master Electrician. NYC, Westchester, New Jersey
I have 2 things:

1) Require all registered members to show their city & state so that their questions may be more accurately answered.

2) Require all readers of the forum to be registered. This forum is for trade professionals, by trade processionals and we typically and rightfully close threads from DIYers, why not be sure that those guests reading the forums, and possibly using or mis-using information found here are indeed somehow related to the trade. (Right now, there are currently 370 users online. 29 members and 341 guests). That's a lot of guests.

tkb

I agree with requiring a location in the profile.
A lot of questions have answers that are location specific.
Usually the OP does not include his location in his question.

kwired

Electron manager
I have 2 things:

1) Require all registered members to show their city & state so that their questions may be more accurately answered.

2) Require all readers of the forum to be registered. This forum is for trade professionals, by trade processionals and we typically and rightfully close threads from DIYers, why not be sure that those guests reading the forums, and possibly using or mis-using information found here are indeed somehow related to the trade. (Right now, there are currently 370 users online. 29 members and 341 guests). That's a lot of guests.

How do you suggest doing that? I read through the posts for at least a year before I decided to register. I was a licensed electrical contractor at the time and still am. Then I spent another year or so with very few posts of my own. By then I had a little more feel of how I fit in and was more comfortable posting here and now I do quite frequently. People will not join if they can not look at it first and see for themselves if they are interested in joining it. Some also need to learn the hard way that they are not qualified or that they need to learn more to become qualified.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Here's my running list, in progress

1. Make the background white, white works.
  2. Remove the automatic italics in quotes.
  3. A better selection of emoticons would be nice. ---more info
  4. At the top of any forum page the 'quick link' list should be available
  5. The choices available at the top of each forum page should be the same as any other forum page.
  6. There should be a setting in the User CP to "Mark All Forums Read" upon session timeout
  7. Thicker line to denote signatures
  8. (MOD) Different color for moderated posts
  9. (MOD) Mod Queue to link directly to moderated posts
  10. (MOD) Post Deletions should be visible to members
  11. (MOD) Moderators should be able to PM moderated members
  12. (MOD) Posts to clear moderation should be one
  13. Collapse Button --infinity, what are you asking for?
  14. (MOD) Remove "Physically Remove" option entirely?
  15. New Posts & Todays Posts buttons - are they working?
  16. Weird glitch on page counts - Page 1 says "1 of 5" when there are more than 5 pages in a search
  17. Weird glitch on reply/view counts - Sometimes more replies than views
  18. Double moderator's pay
  19. Uploading files to attachments manager fails under Mac OS Firefox
  20. (MOD) Deleted posts should leave a shorter residue - .5" instead of the 1.5" with big print we have now
  21. Repair Search Function: Code References, return posts (not just threads started)
  22. Require new members to enter their location, perhaps make a city/state field
  23. The old clickable "replies" header in searches is missed - returns unanswered threads in a hurry
When I read a thread in Today's Posts, I would like to return to the same place (in Today's Posts)that I left when I began the thread. Instead, I return to the Forum (e.g. NEC) in which the thread was initiated.
I don't understand.

I would also like to be able to mark threads that I will continue to follow.
Don't have time to look this morning, but can't we still "subscribe" to threads? :confused:

I know it's a minor gripe, the last word in a post is sometimes repeated as the

first word in the second line of some post.

Can I see an example?

Cavie

How do you suggest doing that? I read through the posts for at least a year before I decided to register. I was a licensed electrical contractor at the time and still am. Then I spent another year or so with very few posts of my own. By then I had a little more feel of how I fit in and was more comfortable posting here and now I do quite frequently. People will not join if they can not look at it first and see for themselves if they are interested in joining it. Some also need to learn the hard way that they are not qualified or that they need to learn more to become qualified.

I have been to car forums that require you to register to read and then additional registration to post.

Rick Christopherson

I have been to car forums that require you to register to read and then additional registration to post.
This practice started years ago to limit the bandwidth that a forum needed. Even though bandwidth is less of an issue these days, some forum administrators continue with the practice with the assumption that it will make more people join a forum. It actually has the opposite effect, in my opinion. If I come across a new forum and I can't see all of the information from a discussion, I just move on to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.