Upsized wires for Voltage drop , now to big to land!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing a project where the run is 500ft (emt indoors). The print calls for #4's on a 20amp breaker. I know that this is correct for the voltage drop but is there any point at the end That I can drop down to land on recpts. , switches, motors. What are the rules for this?

ncwirenut

I've never used them on a 20 amp breaker, but on larger breakers you can use a pin terminal. I'm not sure if that is the correct term, but it is a compression adapter that somehow maintains the rating of the wire. You can change from copper to aluminum with the correct fitting. Look up Ilsco.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Use a NSI polaris IT-4 to go from 4 to 12 in the panel. Got drop ceiling? Do the same in a J-box above the ceiling and branch out to devices with 12.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am doing a project where the run is 500ft (emt indoors). The print calls for #4's on a 20amp breaker. I know that this is correct for the voltage drop but is there any point at the end That I can drop down to land on recpts. , switches, motors. What are the rules for this?

The short piece that would be added on at the ends, as Chris suggested, will not make a significant difference at all.

I can splice in the panel to drop down, my concern is the load end, what i would like to do is run all of my wires(15 #4s) in a 2" and split off from a box to the individual locations when I get 20-30 feet away. is there a code that allows/not-allows this?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I can splice in the panel to drop down, my concern is the load end, what i would like to do is run all of my wires(15 #4s) in a 2" and split off from a box to the individual locations when I get 20-30 feet away. is there a code that allows/not-allows this?

Sounds fine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just remember that the NEC does not require voltage drop compensation for this type of installation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . what i would like to do is run all of my wires(15 #4s) in a 2" and split off from a box to the individual locations when I get 20-30 feet away.
If you use a larger wire for part of a run, you can transition back to the smaller wire at any point you wish. But if you wish to run fifteen #4 wires in a 2" conduit, you might have some difficulties. For example, with schedule 80 PVC and with THHN wire, a 2" conduit can only handle 14 conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you use a larger wire for part of a run, you can transition back to the smaller wire at any point you wish. But if you wish to run fifteen #4 wires in a 2" conduit, you might have some difficulties. For example, with schedule 80 PVC and with THHN wire, a 2" conduit can only handle 14 conductors.

He did mention 2" EMT which can be filled with up to 16-#4 THHN condcutors. For a 500'run that might be a difficult pull.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I never thought about it but in a situation like this derating won't even be an issue since the wire is so large anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.