Night Light Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dratek

Nobody seems to be able to answer this question. Are night lights required? If so in what types of occupancies?
Let's say is it required to have minimal illumination in warehouses/offices when they are not occuipied and general lighting is switched OFF?

kwired

Electron manager
some local health-care rules require inside patient rooms.

Maybe so but it is not a NEC requirement to have them. NEC will govern how they are installed - if they are installed. The requirement to have them is from some other code.

hurk27

Sometimes local law enforcement will require through the building department a night light located in the back of any store that has windows in front, this is so on patrol they can see through the store if anyone is moving around inside, although I haven't seen it implicated in a while around here.

kwired

Electron manager
Sometimes local law enforcement will require through the building department a night light located in the back of any store that has windows in front, this is so on patrol they can see through the store if anyone is moving around inside, although I haven't seen it implicated in a while around here.

It is stupid not to want to do that in the first place. That is part of the stupidity code:grin:

hurk27

It is stupid not to want to do that in the first place. That is part of the stupidity code:grin:

I think with todays burglar alarm systems that are much better up kept and monitored at a lower cost, kind of made requirements like this go by the way side, back when I saw these requirement in place I think we had maybe one or two alarm manufactures, I can remember Ademco as the largest, and charge a fortune monthly, once the competition came around prices dropped and every one got into the action including our power company.

kwired

Electron manager
I think with todays burglar alarm systems that are much better up kept and monitored at a lower cost, kind of made requirements like this go by the way side, back when I saw these requirement in place I think we had maybe one or two alarm manufactures, I can remember Ademco as the largest, and charge a fortune monthly, once the competition came around prices dropped and every one got into the action including our power company.

Security system or not burgulars are nocturnal and do not like to work in the light. They are likely to move to an easier target or at least try to find a way to eliminate the light or get around it.

iwire

Staff member
Most energy codes would prohibit 'night lights'.

We have done many large buildings both retail and office that all lights are out when unoccupied including exit signs.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Actually it is better to keep the building completely dark. Some one moving around inside using a flash light is much easier to see from the outside that some one moving around in minimal lighting.

kwired

Electron manager
Actually it is better to keep the building completely dark. Some one moving around inside using a flash light is much easier to see from the outside that some one moving around in minimal lighting.

I will not disagree with that. Light coming from outside may however eliminate the need of a flashlight. When I was in the Army we got really good at doing things in the dark. Avoiding lights is important to help keep your night vision - you would be suprised what you can all do when your eyes are adjusted properly and there is very minimal light.

We have done many large buildings both retail and office that all lights are out when unoccupied including exit signs.

I bet they still have at least some exterior lighting on. Especially signs.

eprice

The International Energy Code has two exceptions for the rule that lighting have manual controls: 1. Areas designated as security or emergency areas, 2. lighting in stairways or corridors that are elements of the means of egress. I think night lights in either of those two areas are permitted unless there is a local amendment.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
night lights

night lights

"Night Lights" is one of those undefined terms, often confused with Egress Lighting, or Emergency Lighting

iwire

Staff member
I bet they still have at least some exterior lighting on. Especially signs.

No signs, few outside lights, genrall the parking lot lighting will be set up with a few fixtures set up for dusk to dawn.

The International Energy Code has two exceptions for the rule that lighting have manual controls: 1. Areas designated as security or emergency areas, 2. lighting in stairways or corridors that are elements of the means of egress. I think night lights in either of those two areas are permitted unless there is a local amendment.

There may be exceptions, in my experience we shut everything down when the building is unoccupied.

"Night Lights" is one of those undefined terms, often confused with Egress Lighting, or Emergency Lighting

In our case night lights are often the egress lights but we still shut them down during unoccupied times.

Status
Not open for further replies.