Fabric sheath cable feeders and bonding at sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Situation:
100 amp feeders has bare neutral and neutrals and grounds are bonded at sub panel. A cold water bond is present which is bonded with fabric sheath bare neutral. My understanding is grounds and neutrals must be isolated at sub panels. In this case is it within code to bond at sub panel?
Thanks in advance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is the subpanel in a separate building from the building where the meter is located? If so, I would ask the follow up question of what code cycle applies to your area?

Is the subpanel in a separate building from the building where the meter is located? If so, I would ask the follow up question of what code cycle applies to your area?

Service and subpanel are located on same building. Meter panel has ground rod not ufer and cold water bond is located at sub panel where neutrals and grounds are bonded. Do I separate? If so will ground path cancel out?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK, that rules out one possibility. Now, help me understand another thing. I don't know what you mean by "meter panel." Where is the service disconnect located? Is there a disconnect at the meter's location? For that matter, are there other breakers at the meter's location (i.e., one breaker serves the "sub panel" and other breakers serve other loads)? What I am driving at is an understanding of your use of the phrase "sub panel." That phrase is not in the NEC, and it means different things to different people.

4 meter enclosure with no load center jus a 90amp breaker to feed a remote panel board by means of SEC cable which contains a braided neutral in which is bonded with grounding conductors. Which was allowed before the seventies and later changing the code to avoid stoves, ovens, and electric dryers and the like to carry stray voltage associated with the grounded conductor.

Short cuts are the longest route.

Status
Not open for further replies.