Discrete wires or UF Cable in PVC conduit to kitchen island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-27

I need to get four circuits to a kitchen island. House is built on a concrete slab.

My preferred way of doing this is to transition from Romex to discrete wires in a J-Box on a wall near the kitchen island. Run PVC conduit under the slab for the discrete wires, then inside the kitchen island transition back from the discrete wires to Romex using an accessible J-Box. (Locating this 3 or 4 gang J-Box in the kitchen island may be a bit tricky.)

A common practice in our area is simply to run UF cable ?all the way" and pull the UF cable through the PVC conduit. With one circuit this might make sense, however with four circuits I would need a fairly large PVC conduit, or multiple conduits.

Opinions welcome.

X-27

Romex wire inside a kitchen island would be suspectible to damage from pots,pans

We would protect romex inside carflex/sealtight or use MC cable.

Forgive me for not being clearer in my original post. When we would transition from the discrete wires to Romex this would be done inside the walls of the island. The island is framed up with normal 2 x 4 studs. The Romex would be inside the wall cavities and not accessible to the H.O.

The method of running the circuits under the slab is my main concern.

normbac

Done this many times for appliances and SA circuit at island, use 4s at SA recep above counter, flex to PVC in slab and repeat at island accessible j box depending on island layout branch flex and pull THW

hurk27

Last time I had to do this I got lucky and the ground under the slab was
leveler sand (screened sand) and was easy to just use a large hose shop vacuum tapped to a 1" conduit, it went right under and hit my hole in the floor of the cabinet and concrete the first time. I was able to get 2 12/3 UF runs in it and place an elbow to come up into a 11B box on the floor of the cabinet then flex to a disposal and dishwasher, and two GFCI receptacles at each end. ran underground to the garage up the wall in another 1" and LB into the back of the panel (garage was also finnished) great for getting under patios also.

Cavie

I need to get four circuits to a kitchen island. House is built on a concrete slab.

My preferred way of doing this is to transition from Romex to discrete wires in a J-Box on a wall near the kitchen island. Run PVC conduit under the slab for the discrete wires, then inside the kitchen island transition back from the discrete wires to Romex using an accessible J-Box. (Locating this 3 or 4 gang J-Box in the kitchen island may be a bit tricky.)

A common practice in our area is simply to run UF cable ?all the way" and pull the UF cable through the PVC conduit. With one circuit this might make sense, however with four circuits I would need a fairly large PVC conduit, or multiple conduits.

Opinions welcome.

UF in pvc is a reall PITA. It's fine for one circuit but your method is best for more.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Or you could take advantage of the new Exception #2 to 300.5(C) and install MC that is listed for direct burial.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would just run two 3/4" or 1" pvc conduits and sleeve UF. All those transition can be unsightly and a PITA. I have done this a number of times. It isn't much harder to run a few short pieces of PVC either. Then run the UF thru the dead space under the cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.