Revision to UL676 - Standard for Underwater Luminaires

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Hello Everyone,

An important change has been made to UL676 Standard for Underwater Luminaires. In short, the term ?salt water? will be changed to ?sea water? in reference to product markings and when determining suitability of use for underwater luminaires. The change also stipulates that pools treated with salt for chlorine generation are still considered fresh water.

Inspectors across the nation have not been approving underwater luminaires marked for ?fresh water? when used in salt water pools and have required luminaires marked for ?salt water? when chlorine generators are to be installed. This change should eliminate this issue. The electrical resistivity of salt water pools are well within the thresholds of ?fresh water? luminaires. Only true ?sea water? has a salt content and electrical resistivity to warrant the specially marked luminaire.

For reference, water with a resistivity of 89 ohm-cm or higher (6000 ppm or less) is FRESH WATER. Water with a resistivity of 22 ohm-cm as found in the open sea and in therapeutic pools and spas is SEA WATER.

Also be aware that many manufacturers test and list their products for both locations and are marked as such.

G Spotter

ETL Listing

ETL Listing

Has anyone out here run across an ?ETL? listing in lieu of a ?UL? listing? As the electrical inspector, I failed a pool inspection the other day because I was unable to find a ?UL? label on the particular light being used for the pool. The contractor used an LED low voltage fixture made by NEXXUS, Model # AVI-MELODY100.
I called the number on the installation instructions sheet and was told that this division is no longer a part of Nexxus; they are now Next Step. I was given a number. I called and never received a reply.
Should I accept the ?ETL? as a valid substitute for a ?UL? label?

renosteinke

As an AHJ, it exceeds your authority to insists that a particular business be patronized. UL is most certainly a private firm.

UL and ETL are both ISO-9000 recognized as "NRTL's." You must recognize the ETL marking.

bphgravity

There are four (4) standards associations approved for the NRTL program: ANSI, ASTM, UL, and FMRC.

The NRTL's found in belows link use the standards produced by one of the 4 organizaions above to evaluate products.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/

So, the underwater light you reference must be manufactured to the ANSI/UL 676 standard as eveluated by one of the NRTL's in the link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.