Load center replacement and relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would appreciate some input (criticisms or suggestions) on the following project. I have extremely limited space to run wires on this job, and what little space I have is very difficult to get to. Here's the deal:

I have a 200 amp FPE load center that that I will be eliminating and replacing with a new load center that will be relocated about 20 feet way in the basement below the existing FPE location. In order to save space, wire and a lot of labor costs I want to run a single service entrance neutral wire from the FPE neutral bus to the new load center neutral bus. I will then use the old FPE cabinet as a junction box to bring the two service entrance hots and all branch circuit hots down to the new load center. I will run a separate ground to the new load center.

Again the space I have to run wires is making the job a very difficult one, so I have to find a way to minimize.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am not completely sure I follow your description. Tell me if I have this much right:
  1. This is the building's service panel.
  2. You plan to completely gut the old panel, except for the neutral bar.
  3. You plan to splice the incoming service hots, and extend them to the new panel.
  4. You plan to leave the incoming service neutral terminated on the old panel's neutral bar, and run a new neutral wire from that same point to the neutral bar of the new panel.
  5. You plan to leave all branch circuit neutral wires connected to the neutral bar on the old panel, and extend only the branch circuit hots to the new panel.
If this is right, then I have only two comments.
  1. Using the old panel as a junction box is OK. But you need to run the service wires in a separate conduit from the branch circuit wires. Reference 230.7.
  2. Item 5 above would violate 300.3(B).

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are these 20' additional feet of conductors service entrance conductors? If so they cannot extend that far into the structure.

John120/240

I would appreciate some input (criticisms or suggestions) on the following project. I have extremely limited space to run wires on this job, and what little space I have is very difficult to get to. Here's the deal:

I have a 200 amp FPE load center that that I will be eliminating and replacing with a new load center that will be relocated about 20 feet way in the basement below the existing FPE location. In order to save space, wire and a lot of labor costs I want to run a single service entrance neutral wire from the FPE neutral bus to the new load center neutral bus. I will then use the old FPE cabinet as a junction box to bring the two service entrance hots and all branch circuit hots down to the new load center. I will run a separate ground to the new load center.

Again the space I have to run wires is making the job a very difficult one, so I have to find a way to minimize.

From the scope of work that you have listed, why not eliminate the old FPE.

Install a disconnect rated for your service adjacent to the meter. Then run

4 wires in either conduit or cable to your new SUB panel. Viola a code complaint

installation. Use the old FPE tub as a J box for your branch circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.