Wye-broken delta ground detector on a solidly grounded system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG-1

I have 14400V system with a Y-Broken Delta ground detector. I was first thinking that the system is ungrounded. My information & engineer say the system is solidly grounded. The system protection for all the feeders is fuses. I do not know what is upstream. The detector has three lights, a voltage relay, & resistor. The ground detector is on the load side of a switch, so it could be switched in or out of the system.

What benefits could this ground detector be used for on a solidly grounded system ?

SG-1

Issue resolved. Engineer called customer & confirmed that he was mistaken about the grounding. System is feed by an ungrounded delta secondary.

I guess the real question is: Did he learn anything ?

mbeatty

Issue resolved. Engineer called customer & confirmed that he was mistaken about the grounding. System is feed by an ungrounded delta secondary.

I guess the real question is: Did he learn anything ?

Had me thinking. I have never seen a grounded system with detector lights.
Mark :confused:

SG-1

He had detector lights, the ballast resistor & a 59G ! Worse case the customer could just leave the switch open or turn it into a spare feeder & have some parts to store. I'm thinking it would malfunction under normal conditions, but I do not know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.