Do I need an outside service disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahawk

This is in Seattle WA, my understanding is that the answer here might vary regionally or by inspector...

I am moving the load center from the basement exterior wall to a parallel wall about 3' away. The new service lines would pass under a staircase in a drywall enclosed space (no access). Do I need an outside service disconnect in this case or can I get away without it?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here you would need one since the service conductors do not terminate nearest their point of entry.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Washington State has established a limit of 15 feet for the distance service conductors can travel within a building, before hitting the service disconnect. I can get you the WAC reference, if you like. So the answer to your question depends on whether you can get to an inside disconnect within 15 feet of the wall. Please note that if the conductors are under (or within) 2" of concrete, the 15 foot limit does not begin until they come out from the concrete.

Welcome to the forum.

eprice

This is in Seattle WA, my understanding is that the answer here might vary regionally or by inspector...

I am moving the load center from the basement exterior wall to a parallel wall about 3' away. The new service lines would pass under a staircase in a drywall enclosed space (no access). Do I need an outside service disconnect in this case or can I get away without it?

Since you are in Washington, Charlie's answer would be the correct one. In my area, where a distance has not been official determined other that what is stated in the NEC, I would go along with the others and say you would need one.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
In the city of Wheeling WV, we would require a disconnect. For the OP he should contact whomever does the inspections for that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.