80%

Status
Not open for further replies.

120/240

where in the nec does it state that a branchcircuit should only be loaded within 80% of the ocp unless its a continuous load. i looked under branchcircuits but could not find it..im in 2005 edition

jumper

Post 5#

210.19 Conductors ? Minimum Ampacity and Size.
(A) Branch Circuits Not More Than 600 Volts.
(1) General. Branch-circuit conductors shall have an ampacity
not less than the maximum load to be served. Where
a branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination
of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the minimum
branch-circuit conductor size, before the application of any
adjustment or correction factors, shall have an allowable ampacity
not less than the noncontinuous load plus 125 percent
of the continuous load

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
im looking for the code refernce witch says not to load a branchcircuit withen 80 %of the ocp

I do not think you will find that. It is permissible to load a 20 amp breaker up to 20 amps. The real key is the type of load. Is it continuous or noncontinuous?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
im looking for the code refernce witch says not to load a branchcircuit withen 80 %of the ocp
There is no such wording in the NEC.

FYI, 125% is the inverse of 80%

Roger

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
where in the nec does it state that a branchcircuit should only be loaded within 80% of the ocp unless its a continuous load. i looked under branchcircuits but could not find it..im in 2005 edition

I think you may be talking about Table 210.21(B)(2) in the 2005 NEC

There is no such wording in the NEC.

FYI, 125% is the inverse of 80%

Roger

I don't have my 08 book handy so I don't know if its different than the 05, but I believe the table mentioned above is what the OP is talking about. That does list the 80% or 125% whichever you prefer. I also agree, this is not branch circuit load, but that may be what is he thinking.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't have my 08 book handy so I don't know if its different than the 05, but I believe the table mentioned above is what the OP is talking about. That does list the 80% or 125% whichever you prefer. I also agree, this is not branch circuit load, but that may be what is he thinking.
No, the table only tells you the maximum cord-and-plug-connected load to a receptacle and in this case it is saying 80%, it is not sizing anything at 125% and you are correct that is not refering to the branch circuit or OCP.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.