New Take on a Service Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've read posts on here before about what kind of service truck/van/trailer is used or preferred. I didn't see anything about this though. I have a friend that is a HVAC contractor and he drives a SUV type vehicle. I don't know if he has 2 or has traded from what I saw him in originally, but I've seen him in a Honda and a GMC Jimmy. He took the rear seat out and put in a tool chest and some other storage means. He said the only other thing he had to do was change the rear springs/shocks to a heavy duty type. His choice of this vehicle was based on fuel mileage and 4-wheel drive. I currently only have a pickup truck and have done ok for the few jobs I've done. But I haven't had to carry inventory yet and would be kind of hard to carry tools, wire, inventory without using the bed which would leave things exposed. I do like the 4-wheel drive and fuel mileage idea but I'm not sure how a ladder rack would work on the SUV.
I guess my question is has anyone here used this type of vehicle for a service truck? Or would just adding a trailer to my truck be the best option until I can get established better? All opinions welcome!

Cavie

I tried the truck and trailer thing. PITA. Small pickup with topper, PITA. Standard work van was ok for a while. Best thing for me was a box truck with roll up door. Lots of room. Stand up a plus. Didn't need 4WD. Pipe rack under sub floor made from 2 x 6's and plywood. 12' long box. Rolling billboard. Had 2 before I got out.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I tried the truck and trailer thing. PITA. Small pickup with topper, PITA. Standard work van was ok for a while. Best thing for me was a box truck with roll up door. Lots of room. Stand up a plus. Didn't need 4WD. Pipe rack under sub floor made from 2 x 6's and plywood. 12' long box. Rolling billboard. Had 2 before I got out.

Been looking on-line for a used service truck/van but haven't found anything yet, at least in my area. I might have to broaden my search.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
A friend of mine just bought an old phone company truck at an auction. Came with a generator and a compressor, outlets, lights and air fittings. Paid about $3500 for it.

Depends on how picky you are.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Friend of mine has a large truck, a Chevy. I forget the model. Huge body, lots of side bins on both sides. The bins are the good part. But as large & tall as it is, he cannot put a bundle of conduit in the back without setting it catacorner. Has pipe rack on top, but hard to reach, has to use a ladder to get up there.

This is a sturdy well built truck, but I wouldn't want the bulk & still be unable to easily carry conduit in the back.

I like standard work vans most, with shelves on 1 side, bins & drawers on other. Ladder rack & pipe carrier on top.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
big

big

I have a E350 with a 14' box, it was a Ryder rental truck.

The gas milage is offset by not having to leave the job to get parts and materials. I bring my lunch.

And of course the rolling billboard as mentioned.

hydeisland

Just recently got my c-10 here in california and i converted my dodge durango to my company truck with a magnetic sign for the doors (still working as a journeyman for another contractor so i need to take it off when pulling up to the job site). It s done the trick so far, i can fit 10' conduit sticks in, and have gone so far as to strap a 28' extension ladder to the luggage rack. Looked a little goofy but i felt comfortable doing it. I have a friend with a dodge sprinter and he carrys just about everything but they are a little pricey. Soon I will definitly need a box truck though because i do pv installs and have been renting uhauls for to transport the panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.