working surface in front of service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local inspector gave a code violation on a service installed saying NEC dictates a flat working surface in front of the service. Where in the code book would I find this? Service is for a lift station and is on a short hill about four feet off the ground...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Are you saying that the hill is not flat at its peak? Does the hill start sloping downwards immediately beyond the pad (or surface) upon which the service equipment sits? How much difference in elevation is there from the front of the required working space (i.e., right next to the equipment) to the back of the working space (36 inches away from the equipment)?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Look at it in terms of an extreme slope. Suppose the rear end of the working space is two feet lower in elevation than the front end, so that while working on the equipment you have to lean forward to avoid falling down the hill. I would argue that this violates the first sentence of 110.26 (i.e., before the begining of sub-paragraph A). It says that the space must be maintained to "permit ready and safe operation and maintenance. . . ." A two foot drop in elevation within the working space would not permit safe maintenance. A one inch drop in elevation would not preclude safe maintenance. That is why I asked how much of a drop this particular installation has.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
10-15 Log #267 NEC-P10 Final Action: Accept in Principle
(240.24(F))
__________________________________________________ __________
Submitter: Stanley J. Folz, Morse Electric, Inc.
Comment on Proposal No: 10-40

Recommendation: Text to remain as presented in the ROP.

Substantiation: The Panel action on this proposal should have been to Accept.
I am in agreement with the negative comment presented by Mr. Dollard. In
addition, the panel statement ?refer to CMP 1 for comment and switches are
permitted over steps?, was unresponsive to the submitter. Switches are not
electrical equipment and do not come under the rules of 110.26. 110.26 does
a good job of outlining clearances required for electrical equipment except
it does not address a panelboard on a stairway, i.e., there is no provision in
110.26 for a level work area. This is one of those common sense things. We all
know it?s wrong. Let?s say it.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle
Revise the recommended text in Proposal 10-40 to read as follows:
?240.24(F) Not located over Steps. Overcurrent devices shall not be located
over steps of a stairway.?

Panel Statement: The panel accepts the concept that overcurrent devices
should not be installed over the riser sections of stairways. However, many
stairways have horizontal landings that could prove suitable for installations
where appropriate working space exists. The prohibition of installations over
steps of a stairway satisfies the intent of Proposal 10-40 and Comment 10-15.

Number Eligible to Vote: 12

Ballot Results: Affirmative: 12

Common Sense :roll:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
With out seeing a picture, I would have to agree with Charlie. I have turned down equipment that had a 2' deep housekeeping pad with a 4" step, because I don't believe that it meets the intent of clear working space and could be a trip hazard.

If the hill slopes away fron the panel, what would happen if you had to work on it when it was wet and you did not have stable footing?

I've said befoe and I will keep using this as an example, if you can't fit a box that a refridgerator came in, in front of the panel, you probably don't have the correct working space.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
. . . if you can't fit a box that a refridgerator came in, in front of the panel, you probably don't have the correct working space.
I have stolen - I mean borrowed - OK, Let's just say"used" - that analogy several times. It gives a very good mental image of the space required. Should I be sending you the royalty checks? :roll::grin:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have stolen - I mean borrowed - OK, Let's just say"used" - that analogy several times. It gives a very good mental image of the space required. Should I be sending you the royalty checks? :roll::grin:

Well I'm glad that someone pays attention to me. :)

Let's not waste a bunch of stamps, when the check gets up to $1000 or so you can just send one, but I'm guessing you were figuring about one cent a usage.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.