2 meter in a single family unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireperson

this customer wants to split her house , her mother in law will be living in a part of this single family and she wants a separate meter for this area and another meter for the other part where my customer will be living , anything in the code that doesn't allow this? I went to the cit ihall yesterday , they say that it's not possible to do this , because is a r l zone , zoning won't allow it. any inputs? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well if the zoning won't allow it then you're stuck with that you have. You could setup your own sub-metering system but I'm not sure if all jurisdictions allow it.

inspector 102

The NEC will not regulate how many meters you have to a building, only how many services. Since this would probably be one service, then the NEC would not be a problem. The zoning administrator is another issue. What is a mother-in-law suite today becomes a rental unit tomorrow.

Hendrix

this customer wants to split her house , her mother in law will be living in a part of this single family and she wants a separate meter for this area and another meter for the other part where my customer will be living , anything in the code that doesn't allow this? I went to the cit ihall yesterday , they say that it's not possible to do this , because is a r l zone , zoning won't allow it. any inputs? Thanks
A single family is a single family is a single family.

Status
Not open for further replies.