Dedicated Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
NEC does not define the term Dedicated Circuit". It does define "Branch Circuit, Individual" which could be construed to be what you are meaning.

Since NEC does not define the term, if it is being used for instance in a specification or on a drawing, then you will need to see what context it is being used in to determine the intent. The term could mean different things to different people.

In general, to me it means that you have a separate breaker feeding an individual load, and if a neutral is involved, there is no sharing between circuits.

skeshesh

Others have pointed out most everything accurately.

I would just add that I've never really seen the term being used to mean anything other than "this circuit is dedicated to this application". It often means it's serving a single load (i.e one copier machine, fridge, etc.) but I've also seen it used to mean its serving more than one load but with the same applications (i.e. clocks, controller, VAV boxes, etc.).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Others have pointed out most everything accurately.

I would just add that I've never really seen the term being used to mean anything other than "this circuit is dedicated to this application". It often means it's serving a single load (i.e one copier machine, fridge, etc.) but I've also seen it used to mean its serving more than one load but with the same applications (i.e. clocks, controller, VAV boxes, etc.).

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.