Is this code? RHW in attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a single family residntial structure I have found a feeder (4 wire direct burial quad-plex) I think it is RHW, but not sure, that is installed through an attic then through conduit as it exits the attic and down the wall to the ground then of course underground. The question I have concerns the 4 single conductor RHW run open throught the attic. Does this meet NEC requirements? I have looked
for almost an hour and cannot find anything that would show it a violation.
Thanks much for any response. Please give NEC reference for any comment

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I remember this exact question week or so ago. If this is service conductors then they need to terminate in OCPD as near as possible to the point of entry to the building. The building attic is still inside the building.

Also RHW cannot be run inside with a conduit or raceway.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as the NEC is concerned, I think your Code reference is 310.13 which prescribes that conductors shall be installed per Chapter 3 wiring methods and Art 398 would dictate when and how "open" wiring can be installed.

I think the wire is a USE type cable. I just looked up the wire type at a national building supply and it is describes as 1/0-1/0-2 URD USE-2 RHH RHW-2.(The actual size of the wire I am dealing with is larger and 4-wire)
On this Particular job the wire is a feeder not a service entrance conductor.
I rarely ever use any type of direct burial wire as I think it is a better practice to always install underground feeders or branch circuits in conduit. Anyway...so the code reference for this not being legal is 338.12B1.
Is this right??
Thanks

Well this is definately not run on insulators (Art 398) and in (Art 300) the only thing that I can see that would refernce this install is 300.3A--Single Conductors. Single conductors specified in Table 310.13(A) shall ONLY be installed where part of a RECOGNIZED wiring method of Chapter 3. So that is why I referenced 338.12(B)(1)-- Art. 338 Service Entrance Cable: Types SE and USE,-- 12(B) Uses Not Permitted ....(1) For interior wiring.
I am persuaded unless otherwise corrected that this covers it.
Thanks much for any and all input.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You cannot run individual conductors exposed thru a building with a raceway. This is not necessarily a SEU/USE situation. If USE is dual rated then it is allowed in a building but it must be installed in a raceway. USE is for direct burial without a conduit but must be protected once it emerges. You can use whatever section you want but the bottom line is the install is not compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.