dc hipot test

Status
Not open for further replies.

krulazmi

I'm doing testing on power cable (hibrid - XLPE to ABC), if I what to do DC hipot test what is the value of the injected DC voltage.
system voltage is 11kv

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Contact the manufacturer.

They may tell you that they don't use hi-pot testing any more. If they do, they should have the values and time frame specs you seek. There doesn't seem to be a one size fits all.

When I was doing hi-pot testing the voltage applied was roughly 5 times the operating voltage, but not always.

zog

I'm doing testing on power cable (hibrid - XLPE to ABC), if I what to do DC hipot test what is the value of the injected DC voltage.
system voltage is 11kv

There are a few standards, IEEE 400 and 576, ICEA, and NETA. None of them recommends a DC hipot test on service aged (>5 years old) MV cables, it is considered a destructive test. Even for new installations a DC hipot test will only find "gross installation defects".

As far as test voltages go, it depends on what method you use to determine your different test voltages and intervals, the insulation type and ratings also determine the test voltages. You also need to understand corona supression methods and safety precautions.

MV cable testing should be done using either AC hipot (Power frequency or VLF), Tan Delta, or Partial Discharge testing methods.

Honestly, if you are asking these questions you shouldnt be doing the testing, you should hire a certified testing company to do MV cable testing, you can fond one in your area at www.netaworld.org

Status
Not open for further replies.