Work Apparel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
That truck has more lettering than I've ever seen....

Seems like a guy could of summed half of it up by saying "all types of outside lighting/signs" but then that would of left half of the truck open for more lettering...:roll:

EDIT:

We all wear boots, jeans, and a company t-shirt. One of the resi contractors in town wears shorts and sneakers, I think as long as it's not scrubby looking clothing it looks fine. If FedEx/UPS can do it.....

Last edited:

stevebea

I see Postal workers, UPS & Fedex drivers and others wearing short pants in the summer months. Do you think it unprofessional for an electrician to wear short pants, depending of course on the job at hand? I don't really have a strong opinion either way, just wanted some thoughts.

Our company policy will only allow new work guy's to wear shorts and they must be the shorts supplied by the uniform company. Any residential or commercial service tech that wears shorts to work gets to drive home on his own time to change into a pair of uniform pants. Also service tech's must wear a uniform shirt and belt must match the color of your boots.

220/221

That truck has more lettering than I've ever seen....

Seems like a guy could of summed half of it up by saying "all types of outside lighting/signs" but then that would of left half of the truck open for more lettering...:roll:

I'm not trying to sum it up. I'm trying to dazzle the customers with our wide range of services ;)

To us, it's just basic electrical work but people are always commenting "Wow, you guys do all of that?"

On lighting jobs, I've had customers ask if we could recommend an electrician.

Again, it seems odd to us but....????

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not trying to sum it up. I'm trying to dazzle the customers with our wide range of services ;)

To us, it's just basic electrical work but people are always commenting "Wow, you guys do all of that?"

On lighting jobs, I've had customers ask if we could recommend an electrician.

Again, it seems odd to us but....????

I gotcha. Sometimes people need to be shown the light...:cool:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
While I completely agree with you, that's all we wear
jester.gif

My busness partner dresses properly as he has most of the pre contract customer contact. Our lighting/bucket truck guy also dresses correctly in long pants and a button/collar work shirt.

The rest of the scrubs, including me, are in shorts, tshirts 95% of the time.

yeah, but you are a phonecian. when i lived there, i think there were only three
people in the valley that wore long pants.

when there is four months of the year that the only way you can experience
water below 90 degrees is to get it out of the refrigerator, then different
rules apply....

when in rome.......

Electric-Light

They busted their asses for 12 hours that day in order to get all the lights up and running so who am I to complain about safety?
If it can be established that horseplay is part of work place culture and was considered acceptable it would be harder for you to avoid horseplay related workers comp claims. If you do not allow it period, and someone is injured, you have a better chance of defending yourself with defense that employee was behaving outside of course and scope of work.

Uniforms are good to have if you work on sites with security procedures. If you're wearing street clothes, its hard for the site security to know if you're a contractor who is supposed to be there or an intruder.

Last edited:

220/221

If it can be established that horseplay is part of work place culture and was considered acceptable it would be harder for you to avoid horseplay related workers comp claims

Technically it wasn't horseplay, although we do our share of being less than serious. The skateboard was for transportation around the parking lot (18 poles @ 100+' apart. Kind of like a bicycle but more dangerous.

If I operated a real business with a crapload of employees that I didn't know and think of as family, I'd have to lay down some rules. Until that happens, it's business as usual. At this point, I trust everyone in the field to be smart and to be responsible for their own actions. Well....maybe not smart:)

Electric-Light

Technically it wasn't horseplay, although we do our share of being less than serious. The skateboard was for transportation around the parking lot (18 poles @ 100+' apart. Kind of like a bicycle but more dangerous.

If I operated a real business with a crapload of employees that I didn't know and think of as family, I'd have to lay down some rules. Until that happens, it's business as usual. At this point, I trust everyone in the field to be smart and to be responsible for their own actions. Well....maybe not smart:)

As with anything, its business as usual, until accident happens.

ITO

Why not?

Why not?

For commercial work it has to be pants and often it is spelled out either by contract or insurance requirement. I have never found this in OSHA bu it is spelled out in NFPA70E.

For residential installs, who cares its a poorly monitored jobsite, and around here its usually all Mexican labor in jeans, and cowboy hat. In fact I don't think I have ever even seen a hard hat on a residential jobsite, but I have seen a few white guys in shorts.

For residential repairs, pants for presentation.

Personally I would never wear jeans again if I had a choice. If the British empire could go to war and build bridges in the jungle in shorts, then they are good enough for me too.

renosteinke

First, an aside: Am I the only person who noticed that the guy in the picture is on a skateboard? And you're worried about his shorts?

Truth be told, there are all manner of different situations that require different types of attire. Sneakers are a case in point. The very heavy, hard-sole, steel toe and metatarsal protective boots I wear at the steel mill would be slip&fall makers in construction mud, and downright dangerous on a roof deck. In a similar manner, the 'cats paws' shoes preferred by roofers would be unsuitable inside the steel mill. Cowboy boots aren't that good for climbing- but they can't be beat if you spend all day on a ladder.

There's no denying that appearance counts. T-shirts were fine when I was just one of the crew .... but when I became the owner, I had to upgrade at least to Polo shirts. Likewise, the generic jeans had to be replaced by either BDU-type real work trousers, or khakis for sales calls.

Nobody minds Cindy Crawford in the skimpiest of swimsuits. I go to the beach, and Greenpeace tries to roll me back in :) Shorts aren't for every body.

Even a short-sleeve shirt can become an issue if the man has tattoos.

My only issue with dress codes is that "safety" is often nothing but pure BS when management is really making a fashion statement. Such a cop-out only undermines any regard there is for safety. You don't see the Chicago Cubs telling their players not to wear Cardinal red because it's a 'safety issue.'

Likewise, it's always easy to spend someone else's money. I mean, I can find some wonderful, flash-proof, aparrel - at $300 per piece. I'm not going to be happy, though, when five minutes into the day that Uber-shirt gets shredded by a bit of ceiling track. On some jobs, you can go broke replacing $5 T-shirts ... especially at apprentice wages. The guy with the shovel is likely wearing $10 Wal-Mart sneakers because even his entire paycheck won't get a pair of Red Wings.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So do I, which pisses me off because I would love to wear shorts all summer long. But, unproffesional and unsafe. I change into my shorts when I get home.

I'm pretty much with Zog on this one. I'm an inspector and I'm allowed to wear shorts by the city, but many of the job sites I visit don't allow them. And everywhere I've worked has required pant's so it really doesn't bother me.

I broke my foot a few years back and couldn't wear boots. I showed up on a job site to do an inspection in my tennis shoes and I was stopped at the gate and told that I couldn't enter because I didn't have on the proper foot wear. About two hours later I get a call wondering if I'm coming out or not and I told them that I had already been there but they had denied me entry. They told me to come back that they were sorry they didn't know it was me, but I told them that they were right. If no one else on the site is allowed to wear tennis shoes I shouldn't be able to either.

I would think it would be kind of embassing to show up in shorts to work and be sent home.

ITO

I had a big job a few years ago and the GC refused to allow the fire martial on site on the final walk through for the certificate of occupancy because he did not have a hard hat. The fire martial turned to the GC and said, 'If I gotta wear a hard had to final this building, then it aint ready" and he left. Two weeks later, and one week into liquidated damages he came back without a hard hat and did his final inspection.

Strife

I kinda, sorta agree with that statement.
And I know this forum is not about spelling, but it's "marshal".
Sorry there's typos (which I do all the times) and there's atrocious spelling that just gets me:)
Nothing personal.

I had a big job a few years ago and the GC refused to allow the fire martial on site on the final walk through for the certificate of occupancy because he did not have a hard hat. The fire martial turned to the GC and said, 'If I gotta wear a hard had to final this building, then it aint ready" and he left. Two weeks later, and one week into liquidated damages he came back without a hard hat and did his final inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.