Duplex outlet GFI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I hereby invoke Charlie's Rule upon you. :):cool: That is not what it says. What it does say is that the branch circuit cannot be smaller than 40 amp. That is not the same as saying that it is acceptable to use a 40 amp circuit.

As a design engineer, I would go through a process that would lead me to selection of a wire size and a breaker rating. But the NEC, not being a design manual, is not the tool I would use as I go through that process. I might read article 220, and I might take table 220.55 into consideration. I might even oversize the circuit, in an effort to make sure the owner does not come back to me with complaints.

What would be the point of saying that 40 amp is the minimum for 8 3/4kw or larger. It makes it seem like a 16kw can be installed on a 40 amp--If it said in no case can a range be smaller than 40 amps with the exception of ranges smaller than 8 3/4 kw, then it would make more sense to me.

Of course a 16 kw range can't be less than 40 amps-- why is it necessary?

Now if you use T220.55 then that is no different than using 220 for recep. at 180va.

Status
Not open for further replies.