Furniture spline belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I came across a note for (2) pieces of furniture. It said the furniture would wither be hard wired with mc run in the furniture and the contractor to install the recpetacles or it would be a furniture system and the furniture vendor would furnish the spline belt which would be installed by the electrical contractor. What exactly is the spline belt so i can have a better picture. If anyone has a picture that would be great. Sorry guys for the hassle. Again, I ask you guys because you REALLY know what your talking about. You don't know how many times I asked a question and get an "ahhhh, weeeeelllll, uuuummmm just do this etc." and I know they don't know 100%....

Thanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I came across a note for (2) pieces of furniture. It said the furniture would wither be hard wired with mc run in the furniture and the contractor to install the recpetacles or it would be a furniture system and the furniture vendor would furnish the spline belt which would be installed by the electrical contractor. What exactly is the spline belt so i can have a better picture. If anyone has a picture that would be great. Sorry guys for the hassle. Again, I ask you guys because you REALLY know what your talking about. You don't know how many times I asked a question and get an "ahhhh, weeeeelllll, uuuummmm just do this etc." and I know they don't know 100%....

Thanks.

Anyone....:confused::grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Furniture partition systems have electrical conponents that snap together. They usually consist of a feed box that is fed with a whip, typically a flexible raceway or MC cable. From there the electrical components all snap together to electrify the partition. There are KO's that you use to install different lettered devices depending on the circuit you want to connect to.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The modular furniture I have seen refers to the main runner at the base as a "spline". Often it comes with a modular wiring system of conductors and receptacles which terminate in a pigtail so all one has to do is connect the tail to homeruns.

jeremysterling

I have never installed the spline belt. The furniture guys put the spline belt in as they assemble the furniture. It would be very difficult to install the spline belt after the furniture was assembled.

I terminate the modular furniture whip (FBO) to an outlet box or power pole.
The furniture contractor plugs the whip into their spline belt, and then I turn on the breaker and check all the recepts in the furniture.

I guess you should exclude the spline belt installation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have never installed the spline belt. The furniture guys put the spline belt in as they assemble the furniture. It would be very difficult to install the spline belt after the furniture was assembled.

I terminate the modular furniture whip (FBO) to an outlet box or power pole.
The furniture contractor plugs the whip into their spline belt, and then I turn on the breaker and check all the recepts in the furniture.

I guess you should exclude the spline belt installation.

In some jurisdictions the installation of the electrical components are part of the electrical installation and are installed by the electrical contractor. We are given all of the electrical components by the furniture installers and install them.

iwire

Staff member
In some jurisdictions the installation of the electrical components are part of the electrical installation and are installed by the electrical contractor. We are given all of the electrical components by the furniture installers and install them.

We don't do it like that here but maybe it should required to comply with our local laws.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We don't do it like that here but maybe it should required to comply with our local laws.

I think that part of it is a liability issue and the fact that the installation could fall under the electrical contractors license.

Status
Not open for further replies.