Baseboard heater behind door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

In the past i have seen baseboard heaters behind doors with door stops. In a small bathroom someone was wondering if there are any issues with mounting an 300watt baseboard heater partially behind a door. The heaters do have an internal cutoff switch to prevent from overheating, and if the door stop prevented contact are there any safety issues from mounting a heater partially behind the door? Thanks again for your feedback!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Every heater I looked at states that it cannot be installed behind a door. I must admiot I have not installed a baseboard heater in 15 years or so.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I thought it was best to place the heater near the cold portion of the room. - near the window!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Although it does not specifically state not to install behind a door it does infer to keep it clear of combustibles. Here is Markel baseboard heater instructions.

LOCATION OF HEATER
Heaters should be located to provide a blanket of heat over the coldest wall of the room, preferably on a outside wall under a window.
CAUTIONS AND WARNING STATEMENTS
1. Wiring procedures and connections should be in accordance with national and local codes having jurisdiction. Note: all baseboards must be grounded in accordance with article 250 of the N.E.C.
2. Do not install baseboard heater below electrical convenience receptacles (outlets).
3. Do not install insulation on any inside surface of this baseboard heater. The over temperature control may be rendered inoperable resulting in possible
hazard in the event of abnormal operation or blockage.
4. High temperatures are present at outlet air openings. Keep electrical cords, drapes and other furnishings or objects clear of these openings.
5. To reduce risk of fire, do not store or use gasoline or other flammable vapors and liquids in the vicinity of the heater.
6. High temperatures, keep electrical cords, drapes and other furnishings away from the heater.

LWFLASH

Placement of Baseboard Heaters

Placement of Baseboard Heaters

All Baseboard Heaters come with Manufactures instructions on specifically where not to mount and exactly how far from the front and top items can be located. This is done to prevent fires. Doing Baseboard heaters is not a rocket sceince however some people just can't make the jump and most of them are inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.