Potentially viable solution for backsplash with plugmolds and no visible GFCI outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdub

I am doing a kitchen remodel and I don't want outlets in the backsplash.

I have purchased (2) 20A plugmolds for each side of the counter to attach 19? up from the countertop surface for a hidden appearance.

I do not want to add 2 GFCI breakers because:

- They would be located in my outside breaker panel
- They would take up twice as much room in my panel (I currently use GE half size breakers)
- They are expensive

My question is: Is there a strict requirement on where deadface GFCI units can be located?

I would really like to have these 2 GFCI devices located under just behind the doors of the kitchen sink cabinet.

- Since they are deadface, nothing under the sink (disposal, dishwasher, etc) could be plugged into them
- They would be easily accessible for reset.
- A small placard could be added to the plugmolds stating ?GFCI reset under sink?
- It would look SO much better!

NEC code, which is from what I understand, adopted AND amended by city of Dallas which is my local code.

I am wondering what concerns some might have with this? Thanks for your professional opinion on this!

P.S. The backsplash is glass.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession with their job related duties. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Engineers are certainly welcome to participate in the forum. Stick around; there is much to learn here. But please restrict your participation to issues related to your employment as an engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.