Working hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

Who has the responsiblity to the electrical worker who works for a EC . IF, IF we work in a energized piece of electrical equipment and something does go wrong would Osha site the EC or the company or both ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OSHA would cite both the person and the company if they saw the worker doing something that was unsafe, even if nobody had yet been injured. If someone was injured, then that would be a fairly clear indication that someone was doing something that was unsafe.

puckman

Sorry if i am not clear , i reread my post and i think i wasn.t clear. Would OSHA site the contractor who the employee works for or the company who is having the work done?

iwire

Staff member
I am sure they go after the employees direct employer, I think they can also go after the next one up the chain.

For example, an employee of an electrical contractor that is working for a general contractor and the employee violates the fall protection rules. I am sure the EC will get cited, but I think they could also go after the GC as well. I imagine it has to do with how much culpability the GC had in the violation.

zog

Sorry if i am not clear , i reread my post and i think i wasn.t clear. Would OSHA site the contractor who the employee works for or the company who is having the work done?

Both, it happens all the time, in fact IBM got nailed for a huge fine last year for an EC working on it;s property not wearing arc flash PPE.

What many companies do now is pre-qualify thier contractors to ensure they are 70E trained and qualified for the job they will be doing. I have the forms they send to the EC's if you want them.

zog

Puckman, here it is. Figured better to post it here than PM so others can see it too. This is a form from OSHA that they recommend plants use to qualify EC's.

Attachments

• Contractor safety brief.doc
    40 KB · Views: 0

WorkSafe

The following discussion is taken from OSHA Instruction CPL 2.103, Field Inspection Reference Manual (FIRM), September 26, 1994, Chapter III, p. 28.

6. Multiemployer Worksites. On multiemployer worksites, both construction and non-construction, citations normally shall be issued to employers whose employees are exposed to hazards (the exposing employer).

Additionally, the following employers normally shall be cited, whether or not their own employees are exposed, but see C.2.c.(a)2 of this chapter for Section 5(a)(1) violation guidance:

The employer who actually creates the hazard (the creating employer);
The employer who is responsible, by contract or through actual practice, for safety and health conditions on the worksite; i.e., the employer who has the authority for ensuring that the hazardous condition is corrected (the controlling employer);

The employer who has the responsibility for actually correcting the hazard (the correcting employer).
Prior to issuing citations to an exposing employer, it must first be determined whether the available facts indicate that employer has a legitimate defense to the citation as set forth below:

The employer did not create the hazard;
The employer did not have the responsibility or the authority to have
the hazard corrected;
The employer did not have the ability to correct or remove the hazard;
The employer can demonstrate that the creating, the controlling and/or the correcting employers, as appropriate, have been specifically notified of the hazards to which his/her employees are exposed;
The employer has instructed his/her employees to recognize the hazard and, where necessary, informed them how to avoid the dangers associated with it.

Where feasible, an exposing employer must have taken appropriate alternative means of protecting employees from the hazard.
When extreme circumstances justify it, the exposing employer shall have removed his/her employees from the job to avoid citation.
If an exposing employer meets all these defenses, that employer shall not be cited. If all employers on a worksite with employees exposed to a hazard meet these conditions, then the citation shall be issued only to the employers who are responsible for creating the hazard and/or who are in the best position to correct the hazard or to ensure its correction. In such circumstances the controlling employer and/or the hazard-creating employer shall be cited even though no employees of those employers are exposed to the violative condition. Penalties for such citations shall be appropriately calculated, using the exposed employees of all employers as the number of employees for probability assessment.​

jimbo123

That looks like that would be a deterrent for people to work on energized equipment, which is a good thing . The form had nfpa 2004 printed on it. Is there anything from the latest version ?

zog

That looks like that would be a deterrent for people to work on energized equipment, which is a good thing . The form had nfpa 2004 printed on it. Is there anything from the latest version ?

Don't think anything is different besides the term "Erergized Electrical work" instead of "hot work", the 2012 edition is due out very soon and may have some changes.

Electric-Light

It gets complicated on "common areas".

If trade "A" creates a hazard for other trades, it could fall on trade A for creating the hazard, or to other trades who should have been well aware of what was going on but failed to take preventative actions.

Ask OSHA. Some states offer voluntary compliance program that lets you have OSHA personnel come over and point out deficiencies and a chance to correct them without a risk of getting citation.

If I spilled coke in Wal-Mart, someone told a clerk, and the clerk ignored the report and contract refrigeration maintenance guy got injured, I would guess Wal-Mart is on hook for not maintaining safe work place and the contractor for permitting work to take place before a corrective action was taken on a known slip and fall hazard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.