carbonmonoxide and smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of roughing in a major remodle and I could not find any code ref. on weather or not a corbon monoxide sensor can be wired in conjunction with normal smoke det.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Well first of all, smoke and CO detectors fall under the building code.

Around here (in Massachusetts) we put them all on the same circuit ( up to a certain number) and they are wired with intercommunication.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms can be wired on the same 3-wire circuit. However, make sure you don't excede 12 units (check the mfr's specs). It will usually state something like this : The alarms are interconnectable with up to 18 devices, of which 12 can be smoke alarms.

rcarroll

CO detectors are new to the '09 building codes. They have to comply w/ UL 2034. Don't know what that is tho. I do know they don't have to interconnect w/ smoke alarms, unless local amendments dictate. In my town, they can be hard wired, battery powered or plug in, as long as they're installed w/i 15' of bedroom doors.

iwire

Staff member
What is MA restrictions on smoke detectors near kitchens?

I had to look it up, starting 8/27/97 smoke alarms within 20' of a kitchen or bathroom containing a shower or tub had to be photo-electric.

Starting 1/1/08 the detector in those locations had to be photo electric or it could be a combination photo / ionization type

After 5/5/10 the detector in these locations has to be a photo electric and not an ionization type. Outside 20' of the kitchen and bath it has to be a dual photo / ion type or you have to install one of each type side by side.

Luckily they put out a nice hand out.

Smoke & Carbon Monoxide

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I had to look it up, starting 8/27/97 smoke alarms within 20' of a kitchen or bathroom containing a shower or tub had to be photo-electric.

Starting 1/1/08 the detector in those locations had to be photo electric or it could be a combination photo / ionization type

After 5/5/10 the detector in these locations has to be a photo electric and not an ionization type. Outside 20' of the kitchen and bath it has to be a dual photo / ion type or you have to install one of each type side by side.

Luckily they put out a nice hand out.

Smoke & Carbon Monoxide

Interesting. Late last year I was told by the Lexington Fire Marshall that all smokes had to be the photoelectric type.

Status
Not open for further replies.