Panel in bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Ok, I never thought I'd ask this question, but I'm remodeling some small apartments and adding new meters/panels in two EXTREMELLY small ones.
There's really no place to install it and have the clearance required without doing some major structural work. So here's my question/s:
1: Is there anything in the code prohibiting panels inside bathrooms? (I'm not talking above the bath tub or sink. I'm talking behind the door across from the sink)
2: If yes for #1, anything in the code would prohibit installing the panels in the laundry room of the building? or outside?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, the panel can be in the room with the sink as by NEC definition that is not a bathroom. I would however check with the AHJ.

Panels can be in laundry rooms or outdoors providing clearance are met .

I just re-read... if the bathroom has the sink, tub etc then no it cannot be in there. If it is just a sink and the tub and toilet in another room then yes it can.

rcarroll

IMO, the panel can be in the room with the sink as by NEC definition that is not a bathroom. I would however check with the AHJ.

Panels can be in laundry rooms or outdoors providing clearance are met .

I just re-read... if the bathroom has the sink, tub etc then no it cannot be in there. If it is just a sink and the tub and toilet in another room then yes it can.
So now the question, by definition, what constitutes an "area"? Does a door separating the toilet, etc. from the basin also not make it an "area"? I don't know & would appreciate other's opinion.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think we need to pin down some of the details of this proposed remodel.
. . . adding new meters/panels in two EXTREMELLY small ones.
How small? To be precise, do these extremely small units have a bedroom, a bathroom, and permanent provisions for cooking? If not, then this is not a ?dwelling unit,? per the NEC definition, and the rule against panels in a bathroom would not apply. I will proceed under the presumption that this is a dwelling unit.

1: Is there anything in the code prohibiting panels inside bathrooms? (I'm not talking above the bath tub or sink. I'm talking behind the door across from the sink)
The wording of the question leads me to envision a standard bathroom, with the toilet, tub, and sink all in the same room, all accessed via the same door. Is that right? If so, then 240.24(E) comes into play, as has already been mentioned.

2: If yes for #1, anything in the code would prohibit installing the panels in the laundry room of the building? or outside?
Sort of, maybe, but the tenants won?t like it. 240.24(B) says the occupants must have ready access to the overcurrent devices that supply their spaces. That does not require that any one tenant be the only one with such access. You can put any given unit?s panel in the hallway just outside the unit, or in the laundry room, or on the outside wall of the building, as long as the tenant can get to it without having to wake up the building manager to get a key to the area. But that will allow any other person to also have access to the panel. So if two neighbors don?t get along, one can make the other?s life miserable by turning off all the breakers from time to time. The NEC will have nothing to say about this, so yes it can be done legally. I would suggest continuing to look for other answers.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
can you put them behind the door of the bathroom but on the back side of that wall?

there no way to answer that without knowing what is on the other side of the wall. Where is it installed? It doesn't matter what is on the back side of the wall your installing it on

I think he is asking the OP if it would be possible to install the panel there.

Status
Not open for further replies.