concentric ko's on panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleveland Apprentice

I am replacing a panel (old Federal Pacific fire hazard) with Siemens box. There are 4 existing conduits going to box from 1/2" to 1" The service is 100 amp fed from 1 1/4" greenfield. I know I need to install a grounding bushing on conduits/greenfield if using a box with concentric ko's on service, but does this include feeders and BC conduits if conduit itself is the egc?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Basically FMC is not an equipment ground for circuits greater than 20 amps, so unless you are using a bond busing to connect a jumper around the FMC there is no advantage of using one on any circuit greater than 20 amps including services.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Basically FMC is not an equipment ground for circuits greater than 20 amps, so unless you are using a bond busing to connect a jumper around the FMC there is no advantage of using one on any circuit greater than 20 amps including services.

Would you still need to bond if there is an egc in the greeenfield? I didn't think so.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
For services, 230.43 would require a equipment bonding jumper around the flex.
On feeders and branch circuits, 250.118 (5) limits FMC to 20 amps as an equipmemt ground.
I see no reason a bonding bushing, as such, to be required on circuits over 20 amps as you would be grounding something that can not be used as a ground.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One other thing to remember when using FMC as an EGC you're limited to 6' in length.

hurk27

No bonding bushing is required for the branch circuits or feeders unless the voltage is over 250v

That is over 250 volts to ground, not between phases, and the requirement is only for concentric ko's as 250.97 exception even eliminates it where no concentric ko's are encountered.

( I know you know this Dennis, but I was just trying to make sure they knew)

Status
Not open for further replies.