New GFCI Recept Trip Indication

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCES

When did manufacturers change from GREEN "OK" indicator light to RED "tripped" light on GFCI receptacles? Was there a change in NEC or UL that required this change? I haven't decided if I like the new concept.
Before, you knew if you had a GREEN light the GFCI was ready to go. Now the only indication you get is the RED tripped, which you can figure out pretty easily when the appliance you have plugged in doesn't work.

frankft2000

I think its a manufacture thing. Leviton used to have the green light, but I know that Pass and Seymour use the red tripped light. I myself like the red tripped light.

dhalleron

I don't really like a light to tell me the unit has power. I already have too many lights on all kinds of stuff in my house.

I could figure out the unit had power the same way you figured it didn't, McCES.

renosteinke

There's not been any 'change,' other thant the things somehow indicate when they're tripped. How they visibly indicate a trip is limited only by the imagination of the designer.

On manufacturer will indicate a 'trip' by turning on a red light. Another will indicate bt having the trip turn a green light off. There's no code reason for the colors; the manufacturer can use pink or yellow if they want. A manufacturer need not use a light at all; having a handle change position, an orange flag appear in a window, or a button pop out would meet the requirement.

The requirement is based upon a revision of the UL standard.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
There's not been any 'change,' other thant the things somehow indicate when they're tripped. How they visibly indicate a trip is limited only by the imagination of the designer.

On manufacturer will indicate a 'trip' by turning on a red light. Another will indicate bt having the trip turn a green light off. There's no code reason for the colors; the manufacturer can use pink or yellow if they want. A manufacturer need not use a light at all; having a handle change position, an orange flag appear in a window, or a button pop out would meet the requirement.

The requirement is based upon a revision of the UL standard.

I'd like to see a little flag that pops out and says "bang!"

renosteinke

We're told that code books are not meant to be design manuals, and this discussion underscores the point.

Personally, I like the green light that tells me everything is OK. I think that's great 'human engineering.'

It seems we are conditioned to think "green" means 'good,' and I like a visible indiocation that there is power present. It also helps me spot the receptacle in poor lighting.

There just seems something wrong when a light coming on means something is "off." At least, in most circumstances; I am partial to illuminated light switches!

Status
Not open for further replies.