As a CONSUMER, do you use The Yellow Pages?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

As a CONSUMER, do you use The Yellow Pages?

• I live in the city. I do not use The Yellow Pages

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • I live in the city. I do use The Yellow Pages

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I live in a rural area. I do NOT use The Yellow Pages

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I live in a rural area. I do use The Yello Pages

Votes: 9 15.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Something you don't want to hear from your dentist.

"uh oh"

and, from a voice of experience, you also don't wish the same comment from your cardiologist during angioplasty.

zog

I have a pile of them that I "use" to hold the door open when I want some fresh air in the office, that count as "Use"?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Define 'use'

Define 'use'

If I look in the Yellow Pages to find the number of a business I have already been dealing with, does that constitute 'use'?

Or, are you specifically asking for people that have used the Yellow Pages to find new places to do business with?

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I still use Yellow Pages a lot. I'm 54, grew up with them and still like them. I still take a newspaper too. I like all the computer tools too, but I have a thing about some of the traditions.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
If I look in the Yellow Pages to find the number of a business I have already been dealing with, does that constitute 'use'?
I like existing customers to be able to find my # in yp, especially those that haven't called me in a while. And others will look for an electrician, see my name, remember me and call.

mivey

I have not picked up a printed directory in years except to throw away the ones left at the door. I have used the online yp but am just as likely to use any number of searches.

renosteinke

I had to answer 'no,' because it suddenly occurred to me that I haven't owned a "Yellow Pages" for several years.

When I need information, say a phone number ... there's the internet. My first recourse.

These days I'm in a little burg of about 20,000. With an hour's drive to any town of any size, ordinary shopping is a bit of an expedition. I'm sorry to note that many of the local businesses do not have even the most basic web site. I don't expect much - just a page with their address, contact information, a PHONE NUMBER, and maybe even a little explanation of what's the mainstay of their business.

When someone googles "electrician, mytown" your business really should pop up- at least on oen of the business link search engines. Otherwise, you just don't exist.

Besides looking for a business that I haven't used before, I will 'google' known businesses when I simply need an address or phone number. The internet is the new 'yellow pages.'

cowboyjwc

Staff member
This is a good reason to remember why your reputation is so important. When I need a plumber, AC guy or something along those lines, I usually check with the other inspectors and see who's doing good work. Word of mouth will go a long ways.

Remeber, not only do we know who to use, we know who not to use too.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't even keep the directories anymore. They are far less useful than when there was just one. I get about 3 or 4 different ones a year dropped off either on my front porch or out by my mailbox by the road. They all go in the recycling bin and never make it inside.

Internet much more usable to me.

Don't have one at work either. Someone drops a pile of them off of whatever brand it is this week now and then. Most end up in the recycle bin.

sii

I would speculate that most of the people in this forum have lived in their particular area for some time and know who they want to go to for whatever service they are looking for. I would think that different lifestyles would dictate how much you use the YP.

I can't remember the last time I used mine although I do have one in the cupboard at home. I can also remember using them all the time when I was a poor kid first out on my own.

sd4524

Mine goes in the trash. Now I even see older people 60+ with smartphones looking things up. Even if an entire house has no power you can use the smartphone.My eye always catches the google maps when i look for things.
I can walk to my acct, website guy, bank, auto mechanic, and business card printing.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I don't even keep the directories anymore. They are far less useful than when there was just one. I get about 3 or 4 different ones a year dropped off either on my front porch or out by my mailbox by the road. They all go in the recycling bin and never make it inside.

Internet much more usable to me.

Don't have one at work either. Someone drops a pile of them off of whatever brand it is this week now and then. Most end up in the recycle bin.

Similar around here. The only one that's good is the one by the main phone provider. Talking Phone Book was a big thing here for awhile, but it was missing as many listings as it carried. Verizon/Frontier YP were & are more accurate & complete. TPB carried listings all over the Triangle area (4 cities, 3 counties) but never the ones I was looking for. Many people said same thing & it fell out of favor here.

Internet YP is good, but I sometimes find they are not as complete as the local YP book. Sometimes it comes up empty. I check book & it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.