Maintenance electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

wptski

They have them, you just have to dig to get them. I trained every electrician at your plant and found all the schematis for your power system, had to dig hard to get them from engineering. You can also find the manuals in line easy enough.
i doubt that! You must be refering to powerhouse mechanics which aren't refered to as a electricians in the plant nor do they touch any machinery inside either. I'm talking about machinery in the plant. Some I know that were purchased new "without" electrical prints. They call in a vendor every time they run into a problem too!

Back in the sixties and early seventies many trades worked in the powerhouse. It was required under the apprentice program for electricians to spend so many hours there.

Some electricians crossed over and stayed out there. One was Jim May who came inside as a foreman for a short period of time.

zog

i doubt that! You must be refering to powerhouse mechanics which aren't refered to as a electricians in the plant nor do they touch any machinery inside either. I'm talking about machinery in the plant. Some I know that were purchased new "without" electrical prints. They call in a vendor every time they run into a problem too!

Back in the sixties and early seventies many trades worked in the powerhouse. It was required under the apprentice program for electricians to spend so many hours there.

Some electricians crossed over and stayed out there. One was Jim May who came inside as a foreman for a short period of time.

Those operators are untrainable, but there are several (Or were anyways) plants you could be from in the Warren area.

wptski

Those operators are untrainable, but there are several (Or were anyways) plants you could be from in the Warren area.
You mentioned "my' plant, so I assume that you knew I had worked at Ford Sterling Gear&Axle. Rethinking, there are/were powerhouse electricians but not very many. There is also the Ford Van Dyke Plant which I also worked at for a bit over a year around 1980.

So, what Ford Plant are you refering to exactly and detail the training a bit more?

zog

Was assuming GMPT Warren (First "Warren" plant that came to mind), also did Chrysler SHAP 1 and 2, warren stanmping, and Mound Road Engine. GMTC too. Last few Ford plants I did was Wixom and Wayne. Training was customized for the plants power system, operation, maintence and testing of breakers, transformers, relays, etc.

knoppdude

I split my time between two jobs working with a electrical contractor [my cousins. weekends] and in a maintenance department doing electric work.
To be a good maintenance electrician what are some of the duties of that type of job besides making repairs. I beleve i might end up doing that type of work. What are some of the areas of the field you electricians need to be strong in to be successfull?

Know electrical theory first and foremost, then learn the layout of the electrical hardware, the control diagrams, and get a list of the manufacturers phone numbers. As you learn the plant you are working at, you will learn its weak points, and this will make fixing problems easier.

I know others have kind of said the same thing, but I'll say it again: be curious about everything. Find out how things work, look/ask for drawings & manuals, study them. Maybe most important- if something looks weird, find out why. There might be a really good reason ('course, there might not).

One of the interview question I used to use- when you find some really squirrelly setup that's in production, what do you do? IMHO, the correct answer is to find out exactly why it's the way it is, and not change anything until then.

Oh, and another trait of a good maintenance electrician or mechanic- the ability to keep good notes. Every time you reset a breaker, change a fuse, swap out a sensor, etc, you make a note of it. Not enough people do that.

wptski

Was assuming GMPT Warren (First "Warren" plant that came to mind), also did Chrysler SHAP 1 and 2, warren stanmping, and Mound Road Engine. GMTC too. Last few Ford plants I did was Wixom and Wayne. Training was customized for the plants power system, operation, maintence and testing of breakers, transformers, relays, etc.
Yes, I figured that you were refering to power systems and not in-plant training of electricians.

The three companies differ and even differ between plants on skilled trade jobs.

zog

Yes, I figured that you were refering to power systems and not in-plant training of electricians.

The three companies differ and even differ between plants on skilled trade jobs.

Most plants train all of thier electricians to operate and maintain substations, GM has an extensive program, levels A-E that ties in with thier pay scales. Every electrician gets at least up to Level B training.

wptski

Most plants train all of thier electricians to operate and maintain substations, GM has an extensive program, levels A-E that ties in with thier pay scales. Every electrician gets at least up to Level B training.
I see them doing that "if" that was part of their normal daily work. Ford doesn't train people for something they aren't going to work with or on. Electricians at Ford get more training than any other trade easily.

zog

I see them doing that "if" that was part of their normal daily work. Ford doesn't train people for something they aren't going to work with or on. Electricians at Ford get more training than any other trade easily.

Times have changed, none of the big 3 are spending nearly what they used to on training, which is why I changed jobs. They found out it is cheaper to have less employees and farm out this type of work than train thier own employees to do it. (Let along own the right equipment).

wptski

Times have changed, none of the big 3 are spending nearly what they used to on training, which is why I changed jobs. They found out it is cheaper to have less employees and farm out this type of work than train thier own employees to do it. (Let along own the right equipment).
Correct and I don't believe there is much if any apprentice program running today. They are trying to combine trades also which may not work as they expect it to.

iaov

Understand Ohms Law forwards, backwards, upside down , sideways and in the dark!! Realize that Ohms law ALWAYS works. While you may never replace a semi conductor in your entire career you better know how they work. Industrial electricians while spending lots of time working on PLC's and VFD's realy earn thier keep with a multi meter and the ability to use it.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Looks like everyone has covered it all--I have been lucky to have gotten my fingers into most everything an electrician can--from 1910 cranes and equipment to modern electronics(VFDs PLCs etc).

The most useful thing I have found is a solid understanding of the formulas, a good "feel" for what is right and not, being able to work out of my head--no not being crazy altho that might help at times, but able to troulbeshoot a piece of equipment with no prints just what you build ion your head.and knowing the mechanical side--since it is almost always "It's an electrical problem"

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Correct and I don't believe there is much if any apprentice program running today. They are trying to combine trades also which may not work as they expect it to.

I beg to differ with you.

The NJATC is still alive and well and there are also other recognized programs. ALL journeymen in the State of Michigan have to have attended an accredited apprenticeship program and log 800 class hours and 8000 on the job hours working under a journeyman to even sit for the journeyman's test.

You should have got a letter from the state with the application of your 2010 renewal that explains that along with the new apprentice to journeyman's ratio, which is a max of 2 apprentii to 1 journeyman.

Last edited:

wptski

I beg to differ with you.

The NJATC is still alive and well and there are also other recognized programs. ALL journeymen in the State of Michigan have to have attended an accredited apprenticeship program and log 800 class hours and 8000 on the job hours working under a journeyman to even sit for the journeyman's test.

You should have got a letter from the state with the application of your 2010 renewal that explains that along with the new apprentice to journeyman's ratio, which is a max of 2 apprentii to 1 journeyman.
I'm refering to the UAW apprenticeship program a Ford Motor Co. be that a electrician, millwright, pipefitter, machine repair, etc.

wptski

For many years electrical construction work was performed in Ford Plants with one electrician holding a State of Michigan license. Maybe six or so years ago, the State of Michigan changed their policy and want all electricians performing the work to be licensed not just one person in the plant.

Ford paid for classes held in-plant for all that signed up. Some that were close to retiring refused to sign up for the classes. I suppose they must have set some future date when all are supposed to licensed by.

Since I wasn't a electrician, I "may" not have all the facts about this correct. I just heard them all talking about what was taking place.

tryinghard

Your likely going to do a lot of design build, others will rely on your skill here. Be solid with electrical theory especially in manufacturing or industrial. Maintenance electricians may work with technicians but some are all-in-one, if separate you?ll likely cross over and PLC?s, fiber, radio, SCADA, & controls are important.

Status
Not open for further replies.