Bathroom Shower fixture, GFI portected??

Status
Not open for further replies.

squaredan

My friend, who is an Electric an, put a recessed light fixture in the shower(120v), listed for wet locations.. The light works off a GFI switch/ receptacle combo so that the light is GFI protected,this circuit is not part of 210.11C(3).. The Inspector told him that it does not need to be GI protected and made replace with a regular snap switch..I looked in 210.8 and that is only for GFI receptacles also looked in 410.10(D) that's more for the outside the shower area..Is there any part of the code that address this or was the Inspector right and if he was is there any harm in leaving the fixture GFI protected?

Dan

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The fundamental notion of, "It is not required, so get rid of it" is a very bad call on the part of the inspector. The NEC provides the minimum requirements for a safe installation, and nothing prohibits doing more than the code requires.

realolman

You think that inspector's dumb???... when I first read this I thought he put a receptacle in the shower... reminds me of the Bill engvall joke about the Japanese thinking we were so dumb because they had to put a tag on a hairdryer that says not to use it in the shower. He said if you're that dumb that you're standing under the shower trying to dry your hair... we don't need you.

At least you'd have a place to plug it in :)

I gotta learn to read.

squaredan

If it was a recreational vehicle, it would be required. 551.53.B

Awesome I would of never found or see that one...I wonder why it is required here but not in a home(residential)..Also while reading Art 551 I notice 551.41(D) the position of a receptacle, I was always told it was never a code rule..However i am reading a 2005 nec my 2008 is in the truck and its pouring outside...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Awesome I would of never found or see that one...I wonder why it is required here but not in a home(residential)..Also while reading Art 551 I notice 551.41(D) the position of a receptacle, I was always told it was never a code rule..However i am reading a 2005 nec my 2008 is in the truck and its pouring outside...

Face up prohibitions have been around for a long time. There also a similar rule in 406.4(E).

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You folks are forgetting that some manufactures require that if their product is installed over a bathtub/shower it must e gfci protected.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You folks are forgetting that some manufactures require that if their product is installed over a bathtub/shower it must e gfci protected.

Yup, see that all of the time for fans but I have yet to see that requirement for a light.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician

My guess would be that since an RV is limited in space you wouldn't want anything plugged in flat on the floor. Trip hazard, walking on cord caps . . .

squaredan

Face up prohibitions have been around for a long time. There also a similar rule in 406.4(E).

Wow never seen that or even question that cuz always was told that it was not a code rule unless it was specified in the plans.. see what happen when you listen to people..lol Now I see that is for countertops and work surface area, now this doesnt apply to living room or other? Looking in 406 and dont see anything...

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Wow never seen that or even question that cuz always was told that it was not a code rule unless it was specified in the plans.. see what happen when you listen to people..lol Now I see that is for countertops and work surface area, now this doesnt apply to living room or other? Looking in 406 and dont see anything...

It's pretty tough to install a floor box without having the receptacles face up.

I have put them in houses with living rooms so large that they would need an extension cord to get to the middle of the room.

Expensive rascals, though. The good ones are made of brass, covers and all and priced like gold.

This really is fairly simple.
Check 210.8(A) - notice the word receptacle.
Check Article 410, specifically 410.10(A) & (D) - notice the lack of the term GFCI. See 110.3(B). Last, read installation instructions and product manual, there is a lot of interesting information about products in those manuals. Even reading the UL White Book is very informative - and it is FREE.

*This post is for the inspectors who really have not got a clue....

Status
Not open for further replies.