Figuring highest load based on residential bill from power company

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWH

I am trying to confirm if a service is overloaded on a old house. The customer stated the highest kwh on his bill was 12000kwh but is there something to determine peak . The loads at this residence have not changed over the years but the meter basically melted and was changed by the Poco, then over a short time period same thing happened again. The Poco told customer service was all of a sudden undersized, I checked the meter base and found 2 of the recievers on the meter base had heated and opened up which would explain the meter socket damage. I am thinking a simple parts replacement should fix this.

broadgage

The peak load can not be determined from the monthly KWH useage.
100KW used for a few hours a month would need a 100KW service. 1KW used for a few hundred hours a month would need a much smaller service, but the consumption for billing purposes would be the same.

Some large or industrial services have more sophisticated meters that record the peak half hour in each billing period, but not normally on residential.

tkb

It's like trying to tell if someone was speeding by just looking at the odometer in their car.

Electric-Light

If the meter is sized properly for the panel, the main breaker should prevent this from happening.

12,000kWh? Something's not right unless this is some kind of a mansion. You need a sustained 16 2/3kW load to rack up a bill that high.

I'm not sure how that is possible for an ordinary home unless the hot water got left on while they were on vacation and tankless ran 24/7 or they're cultivating something in their garage with a bunch of 1kW HPS.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
If the meter is sized properly for the panel, the main breaker should prevent this from happening.

12,000kWh? Something's not right unless this is some kind of a mansion. You need a sustained 16 2/3kW load to rack up a bill that high.

I'm not sure how that is possible for an ordinary home unless the hot water got left on while they were on vacation and tankless ran 24/7 or they're cultivating something in their garage with a bunch of 1kW HPS.

I was thinking the same thing.

That's about 12 times what the average home uses. I only used 10,500 kWh for the entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.