Thursday Night Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I agree 100%. Once those service conductors hit the OCPD that appears may exist in each meter enclosure, they're not service conductors anymore. The NEC does not prohibit mutiple feeders from coexisting in a common box.

I just don't like it . . .

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
May122011028.jpg

Usually, at least one of the risers has the extra bracing. I didn't get out and measure the distance between the uni-strut on the wall and the POA.

Could have been stolen too. :grin:

The POCO specs say:

A. Additional riser bracing is required if the distance from the point of the last brace to the point of attachment is greater than 26 inches for 1 1/2 inch pipe or 36 inches for 2-inch, or larger, pipe. See page 2-7 & 2-8 for bracing equirements.
B. Additional bracing consists of two galvanized steel members installed at approximately a 90 spread and opposite the load from the service drop. Minimum brace size shall be 3/4" rigid galvanized steel pipe or 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 1/8" galvanized steel angle. EXCEPTION (residential only): braces may be 3/4" electrical metallic tubing (EMT).

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
From all appearances, the fire extinguisher might be undersized :grin:

That's a good one!! The understatement of the year!!

I agree with Bob, the two feeders going to one box are allowed. But looking at the picture, I can't help wondering why they did this? Two conduits going to a common Jbox, but only one conduit coming out. What could it be supplying that they needed to come from two different services? I can't imagine.

And the conduits are so small. Are there branch breakers in the side of those meter enclosures? Or are they tapping some really small wire onto the load side of the main?

Too many questions.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
That one picture with all of the service masts sticking up out of the roof looks like a place where weatherheads hang out after work and drink beer.:)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I had to blow up the picture to read the sign.

It says "Electrical Room".

That's both stating the obvious, and using the term very loosely at the same time!!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Quote:I agree with Bob, the two feeders going to one box are allowed. But looking at the picture, I can't help wondering why they did this? Two conduits going to a common Jbox, but only one conduit coming out. What could it be supplying that they needed to come from two different services? I can't imagine.

Maybe they had (2) Rooftop Units that were close to each other but feeding seperate tennant spaces that had to be metered seperately.
They ran 1 pipe and caught both.
JAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.