N.J. Contractor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

This is about a new jersersy contractor i had worked for not too long ago and this is about one of his customers.

The electrical contractor signed a contract with a home owner to do a 2 family home took out the permit and did the service and rough in ,smokes . That all past inspection. The permit was taken out in 2008.
The h o paid in 3 parts 1. service 2. rough 3. finish. That is how the contract is written . The home owner stopped work after the rough was completed and paid for as much but has stopped doing any work so far. The E C spoke to the home owner and h o just said he is not ready to continue.
The question is how long does the E C have to wait and be responsible for the work to be completed ?

growler

This is about a new jersersy contractor i had worked for not too long ago and this is about one of his customers.

The electrical contractor signed a contract with a home owner to do a 2 family home took out the permit and did the service and rough in ,smokes . That all past inspection. The permit was taken out in 2008. The home owner stopped work after the rough was completed .
The question is how long does the E C have to wait and be responsible for the work to be completed ?

He could check with the local authorities but I think the original permit would have expired a long time ago.

With no final inspection there wouldn't be a certificate of occupancy so the house should be sitting empty. If it's been sitting empty all this time I doubt if the authorities would even accept the original rough-in inspection and the job permitting process would have to start all over.

I would call the local authorities ( Fire Marshal's Office ) and have them condemn this place as unsafe for habitation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Even though it's probably not required due to the expiration of the original permits I would go down to the town and make sure that my company name was removed from all outstanding paperwork. With the rough done it wouldn't be the first time that the HO did the finish work himself.

satcom

The electrical contractor signed a contract with a home owner to do a 2 family home took out the permit and did the service and rough in ,smokes . That all past inspection. The permit was taken out in 2008.
The h o paid in 3 parts 1. service 2. rough 3. finish. That is how the contract is written . The home owner stopped work after the rough was completed and paid for as much but has stopped doing any work so far. The E C spoke to the home owner and h o just said he is not ready to continue.

He needs to notify the AHJ what has happened in writing and make sure the letter is sent to both the homeowner and the AHJ certified mail return recipe
This is serious business, and he should take care of it ASAP

robwire

The permit is supposed to expire one year after work stops as per NJ Law

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The permit is supposed to expire one year after work stops as per NJ Law

One year from the date of issue and/or 6 months from the last inspection. So you could:

Receive permit, go 364 days to rough
rough inspection, 179 days to final.

So 18 months less a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.