GC wants a copy of my licence should I be alarmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

GC wants copy of my licence says needs to submit it with town permits for bathroom reno this is NJ. Seams odd never needed more then my seal.

hurk27

I would check with the town and make sure this GC is not pulling permits behind your back, here the EC has to show at the town building department and use company check to get permits to stop just this, I do supply a few corporations with a copy of my insurance and bond when asked for, but that is it.

Any company wishing to see if I am licensed can call the town/city/county and they will tell them.

tkb

Why would a GC need to supply your license to get his permit.
Doesn't the EC get their own permits in NJ?

I would be wary of this guy.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is public record and around here the GC get the building permits along with the trades permits- except Durham.

knoppdude

Contact the building department, and see if what he is doing is correct. He may be legitimate in doing so, but they will be able to tell you. If not, let them know, what he is then doing may be illegal.

cadpoint

How to check on the approval status of a building permit application ... This is the official website of the City of Durham, North Carolina. ...

http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/inspections/

Here sign up

The LDO system allows contractors to schedule inspections, review results of inspections, check on status of permits, check on the plans review status of building permits and Certificates of Compliance and apply for mechanical, plumbing, and electrical permits on-line. Functions listed on the menu under "Search" can be performed by anyone without a pin number. Contractors requesting inspections or applying for permits must have a pin number.

Our Bus system is called DATA, come on over... :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What is a seal?

Corporate seal???

corporate_pocket_seal_med.jpg

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Yes similar to a corporate seal only that it has the name and license/business permit number of the contractor. All permits have to be sealed.

What a PIA. Our State online electrical permit application is great. A simple phone call is acceptable to the closest ciity. Advantage of people knowing who I am just by voice recogniton alone.

I believe I have provided a copy of my license to any customer that has asked. (Maybe two times.) No different then having them ask for a fed Id # or proof of insurance, or so I thought.

480sparky

Send a black & white copy with a huge "PHOTOCOPY" plastered across it. Not so it's unreadable, but maybe covering up a few key digits in your license number.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have been in business as a corporation for over 30 years and have used my seal 2-3 times.

The seal is one way that the State controls the contractor. If they decide to pull your business permit for some egregious rule violation you must turn in your seal to them. This will prohibit a contractor from applying for any more permits until the matter is settled.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Send a black & white copy with a huge "PHOTOCOPY" plastered across it. Not so it's unreadable, but maybe covering up a few key digits in your license number.

do a search for alwon electric license number NC--- my number is there-it is public info. around here.

480sparky

do a search for alwon electric license number NC--- my number is there-it is public info. around here.

Perhaps the GC's insurance carrier has a wild hair and wants to verify that his subs are licensed.

Licenses are public info here, too, but of the two required, one is issued under your own name, the other under the business.

satcom

In New Jersey our license number must be displayed on letter heads business cards, all ad,s and in view on our truck, it is also public info, so anyone can access it, what they can't access is our state seal

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In New Jersey our license number must be displayed on letter heads business cards, all ad,s and in view on our truck, it is also public info, so anyone can access it, what they can't access is our state seal

So every contractor has a state seal whether they are incorporated or not. Here just corp. have the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.