Ungrounded Branch Circuit Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Scenario 1. Ungrounded lighting circuit in basement. Can you add switches to the circuit using 14/3 with ground as long as any new boxes are plastic?

Scenario 2. Existing circuit is ungrounded and your running a new grounded branch for circuit. Can existing parts of that circuit, buried in walls, still be picked up off of new ground circuit even though those existing parts of circuit are ungrounded?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Scenario 1. Ungrounded lighting circuit in basement. Can you add switches to the circuit using 14/3 with ground as long as any new boxes are plastic?
Legally or not? :) No since switches need to be grounded-

[/quote]Scenario 2. Existing circuit is ungrounded and your running a new grounded branch for circuit. Can existing parts of that circuit, buried in walls, still be picked up off of new ground circuit even though those existing parts of circuit are ungrounded?[/QUOTE] If I understand you- yes. But depending on what code you are under you need to use AFCI.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Looking very quickly at 250.130(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions.
I do not see this same wording for switches/lighting circuits, but I will look to see if there is something in the NEC for it.

If you can get a switch that does not need grounding it may be compliant. Good luck with that-- I think they make them.

iwire

Staff member
Looking very quickly at 250.130(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions.
I do not see this same wording for switches/lighting circuits, but I will look to see if there is something in the NEC for it.

Isn't adding a switch leg a branch circuit extension?

Finite10

This is a branch circuit extension. 250.130 (C) says the EGC shall be ?permitted? to be connected by methods 1-5. The same wording is used before that in 250.130. Seems a bit open to me as to whether you shall connect to grounding using one of the permitted methods? OR? you shall be permitted to connect to ground if you want to, by one of those methods. The FPN refers to 406.3 (D) using GFI as replacement recepts. All referred to by Pierre.

Scenario 2. Existing circuit is ungrounded and your running a new grounded branch for circuit. Can existing parts of that circuit, buried in walls, still be picked up off of new ground circuit even though those existing parts of circuit are ungrounded?

Are there both plugs and switches on the existing extension? As Pierre cited -404.9 (B) exc. B to B, and 406.3,(3) might be mentioned in a call to the AHJ. Seems like it may be open to interpretation by intent.

Dennis -I like the new avatar. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.