Bathroom Shower fixture, GFI portected??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finite10

Face up prohibitions have been around for a long time. There also a similar rule in 406.4(E).

Seems like you could install face up for a soffit or something - just not a countertop or similar.

Back to the OP: I bet the inspector used to be a contractor and was trying to help the sparky shave a buck to compete with the 10 contractors he just inspected before that job -all of whom never GFI protect unless required. I doubt he was trying to make something less safe.

Finite10

don't you mean face down?:confused:

I was thinking of an inside, indirect lighting soffit like in a restaurant. They may have fluorescent strip lights and some recepts for cord & plug pendant lights - like the red paper ball lights in Chinese restaurants... FLAME ON!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Awesome I would of never found or see that one...I wonder why it is required here but not in a home(residential)..Also while reading Art 551 I notice 551.41(D) the position of a receptacle, I was always told it was never a code rule..However i am reading a 2005 nec my 2008 is in the truck and its pouring outside...

Face up prohibitions have been around for a long time. There also a similar rule in 406.4(E).

My guess would be that since an RV is limited in space you wouldn't want anything plugged in flat on the floor. Trip hazard, walking on cord caps . . .

Wow never seen that or even question that cuz always was told that it was not a code rule unless it was specified in the plans.. see what happen when you listen to people..lol Now I see that is for countertops and work surface area, now this doesnt apply to living room or other? Looking in 406 and dont see anything...

I think Squaredan was thinking the rule was saying in which direction to turn the receptacle, ie: ground hole up or down. That's the way I'm reading him, especially when he said he didn't think it was a code rule.

squaredan

I think Squaredan was thinking the rule was saying in which direction to turn the receptacle, ie: ground hole up or down. That's the way I'm reading him, especially when he said he didn't think it was a code rule.

Yes Thats Excatly what I was thinking, Thanks Little Bill..After reading 406 E(4) and 551.41D again i see it says IN countertops not ABOVE and thats what i was thinking ABOVE...I see running out to the white reading vans in school really paid off for me...lol

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

We all know that no such rule exists so let's not debate it. :)

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We all know that no such rule exists so let's not debate it. :)

Not intending on debating it. Read SquareDans reply. I was only pointing out he was thinking the rule applied to the orientation of the receptacle and everyone's reply was to the actual rule about not placing a recep. face up!:grin: Just thought it was funny.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yes Thats Excatly what I was thinking, Thanks Little Bill..After reading 406 E(4) and 551.41D again i see it says IN countertops not ABOVE and thats what i was thinking ABOVE...I see running out to the white reading vans in school really paid off for me...lol

That's ok, I get brain "gas" every now and then too!:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.