fused disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigawatt

Is it required to feed a fused disconnect to the top terminals? I know that the fuses would be live when replacement is required but with the disconnect turned off there would be no load. I cannot find anything in the book that says not to do this. What am I missing?

kwired

Electron manager
why would you want the fuses to be live when changing them? even with no load, make a mistake and you have electrocution hazard or arc flash hazard.

Finite10

Business end of 404.6,C;

shall be connected such that their blades are de-energized when the switch is in the open position

Yes, it should be uniformly mandated that all disconnects, whether labelled line/load or not, be wired line on top -load on bottom - and dead blades when open.

kwired

Electron manager
Business end of 404.6,C;

shall be connected such that their blades are de-energized when the switch is in the open position

Yes, it should be uniformly mandated that all disconnects, whether labelled line/load or not, be wired line on top -load on bottom - and dead blades when open.

What about double throw switches? The wording is fine the way it is.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
And don't forget 'inverted' switch mounting which is common with bolted pressure switches.

seriouswatts

breakers

breakers

How about circuit breakers in a seperate enclosue? 404.6.C does not go into specifically "Hot to the Top", can a circuit breaker be fed from the bottom with the load out the top? I know it can be, and will most likely function properly (if list as a reverse feed), but would it violate the code?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How about circuit breakers in a seperate enclosue? 404.6.C does not go into specifically "Hot to the Top", can a circuit breaker be fed from the bottom with the load out the top? I know it can be, and will most likely function properly (if list as a reverse feed), but would it violate the code?

Enclosed circuit breakers are a different issue, unless they are marked Line/Load they can be fed either way.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.