Abandoned Equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwalsh

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I know were to find the articles about abandoned cables, but is there anything about abandoned equipment?

I recently was involved at a project where the existing 400A service was upgraded to a 600A.
The new service was placed two rooms down from the old one, and the electrician left all of the old equipment. He cut the wires in the T-box but left all of the existing equipment in place. No tag, no lock nothing to indicate it was abandoned.

My problem is this, what if the Fire Dept or other public saftey agency needs to quickly shut off the power to the building? The exsiting equipment isn't that old (1980's) and could easily be mistaken for the source of power. It is also easier to find in this particular building, definitely the one somebody would come across first.
Now if the building got flooded, or damaged, or on fire there could be a serious problem if firefighters or salvage teams enter assuming the power is off.

Is this adddressed anywhere in the NEC?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I moved this question to a thread of its own, as it was not directly related to the thread into which it was originally placed.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC will not have anything to say about this situation. It is a contract question to be resolved between the electrician and the owner.

iwire

Staff member
I can't see any reason a code would have to address this.

The NEC requires identification, so make sure the new is identified and make sure the old is not still identified or identify it as abandon.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I can't see any reason a code would have to address this.

The NEC requires identification, so make sure the new is identified and make sure the old is not still identified or identify it as abandon.

That seems like the simplest solution to me as well.

Some people are just really cheap and either do not want to pay to remove old stuff or want it left around in case they might find a use for it later.

We have a customer that has stuff that has not been used in close to 20 years still sitting in the plant. Some of it is from the 1940s.

Status
Not open for further replies.